SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 11-07-07, 01:28 PM   #1
rpwoodman

Default 22nd July

I'm doing this: http://www.streetluge.com/

Somewhere down near Salisbury I think. Be interesting to see how it goes. I can't believe it's that difficult - I just sit there and let gravity do its thing.

Don't suppsoe anyone else has ever done it?
Old 11-07-07, 01:34 PM   #2
Baph

Default Re: 22nd July

I've done it a few times.

To complete the track, it's pretty much as you say, let gravity do it's thing.

To win the race though, is far far more complicated. You really need a pro rig & to hang off more than you care to think about.

When pushing off, about the only thing you need to remember is not to run over your hands (that hurts!!). If you're going too fast for a corner sit up to use your body as an air brake (inefficient as hell, but works a bit) and consider putting your feet down.

If you're just doing it for a laugh/charity, I'd recommend you wear full bike gear. If it's an organised event it'll have hay bails on the bends, but even hitting these at speed hurts.

If you're doing it anything more seriously, then you need (IMO) to start paying out for serious kit.

All in all, it's great fun. I've been down hills in the past doing approx 60mph with my entire body about an inch from the tarmac. Surreal feeling. But just hope that the finish line is on a slight incline, or it could be tricky to stop in time.
Old 11-07-07, 01:42 PM   #3
rpwoodman

Cool, thanks for the tips.
It's jsut an experience I got given as a present; doubt it's something I'd take up seriously, really justa bit of a laugh for a day.
Old 11-07-07, 01:46 PM   #4
DanDare

Can't think where that is, I'd imagine its Gurston Down which is a hill climbing track.

Love to give it a go myself.

Good luck and get some pics.
Old 11-07-07, 02:33 PM   #5
rpwoodman

Yes, I think it is Gurston down. Just tried finding the track on Google Earth but can't see it, which is a shame.

I'll get the current Mrs Woodman to take some pics tho she has this horrible idea that it's a deathwish and inherantly unsafe, so she may have her eyes closed a lot of the time!

Rgds
Old 11-07-07, 02:37 PM   #6
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpwoodman View Post
I'll get the current Mrs Woodman to take some pics tho she has this horrible idea that it's a deathwish and inherantly unsafe, so she may have her eyes closed a lot of the time!
I reckon it's less dangerous than riding a bike on public roads. Everyone going the same way at roughly the same speed (that's even if you're on track with other people).

Just don't tell her about the domino effect that can happen if one person wipes out (not uncommon for a wipeout to bounce off a bail & come back into the racing line, dragging the bail with the rider/luge). That's the bit where your kit will come into it's own.