SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Mini-Twins Goto Minitwins Official Site

Old 21-11-12, 01:26 AM   #1
scotinexcile

Thumbs up Difference between MiniTwin and SuperTwin

I race SV's here in the US and am starting to plan a NW200, Manx GP or IOM TT trip.

Trying to decide if I want to ship my bike or just buy one locally and race it. Also interested in renting if anyone has a 650 SuperTwin to rent

Any advice, help would be appreciated.

Alan
Old 21-11-12, 09:59 AM   #2
Nick_69

Default Re: Difference between MiniTwin and SuperTwin

This is no means an answer from an expert but im pritty sure that the super twin class allows abot more mods to be done like different suspension and more tuned engine, while the mini twin class has a lot more controlled specification

Now GSXR 600 K9
Nick_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-12, 02:27 PM   #3
jambo
Mega Poster

Like Nick, I'm not an expert. The minitwins rules are listed here (though some clubs interpret things differently)
http://www.minitwins.co.uk/

Broadly
- The engine is to be left largely alone (72HP limit, no capacity increase)
- The rear shock can be replaced, fork internals can be replaced. Original forks and wheels must be retained.
- Original brake calipers & master cylinder must be used

Supertwins:
Seem to allow more engine work, full brake caliper & fork swaps (gsxr front ends etc), wheels can be swapped.

Jambo
Old 22-11-12, 02:57 PM   #4
Converted

Minitwins have to remain as homologated, that means no changes to the following

Engine, internal gears/gearbox, injectors, fork externals, frame, swingarm, wheels, brake calipers and master cylinders, axles, yolks, radiator,. So no internal engine work at all and a 72bhp limit. No total loss so must have original charging circuit. original ECU

You can change bodywork, clip-ons, rear sets, move the battery, clocks, fairings and mounting points, front and rear subframe, exhaust system and end can, brake disks and lines, levers, rear shock, fork internals, add a power commander or reflash the ECU.

Best read through the regs on www.minitwins.co.uk as already stated.
Old 22-11-12, 04:51 PM   #5
MOTO-TECH

You need a Supertwin, but it isn't as simple as that, there are 2 sets of rules. 1 for TT & NW200 and another for Manx GP & other Irish races including Ulster Grand Prix.
National regulations http://www.7dayoffice.co.uk/document...g_Regs_CH3.pdf page 12 & 13
Can't find international rules which cover TT & NW, go to TT site, competitors & email them.

Brian.
Old 23-11-12, 11:32 AM   #6
wayne66

All rules for the TT are as stated in the above link, except the crankshaft, as a standard item MUST be used for the TT, not sure about the NW200. This might change, as the rules for this year have not yet been confirmed, as far as I know.Hope this helps
Old 26-11-12, 03:43 AM   #7
SVSteve1

Scotinexcile,

I also race SV's here in the US. The short answer is that it's basically the same difference between a Superstock SV and a Superbike SV here. My goal is to go race over there myself, but health issues have held me up recently. As was mentioned, I'd first figure out which race/s you'd like to enter as there are some rule differences. There are also some licensing issues that you'd need to look into.
Old 26-11-12, 09:12 PM   #8
jhsracing

Not strickly true, the NW200,TT and now the Classic TTformally the Manx GP all run under FIM rules. So all machines in the supertwins class must use the crankshaft as a stock item from the manufacturer and all machines must be post 2005 models.

Hope this helps.
james

www.jhsracing.co.uk
Old 27-11-12, 02:01 AM   #9
SVSteve1

Scotinexcile,
I found out today that they're changing the ManxGP to the Classic TT, as was mentioned above. I also found out that it is now an FIM race as well, so an AMA FIM International license will work. In years past, it was run under a different sanction (ACO or SACU I believe) and it was a strange process to get licensed to race the Manx as an American. As far as specific bike rules, you can't go wrong with asking the folks at JHS Racing. They've built winning supertwins for these races.
Old 22-01-13, 04:59 PM   #10
scotinexcile

Thanks for all the info guys. Got my FIM License all set and my Insurance ect for NW 200. Just need to send in the entry form and most importantly FIND A BIKE!!!! I dont think shipping mine is going to be the answer.

If you know of anyone selling a decent SuperTwins bike, prefer SV but Kawi would work to then please point them my way

Thanks

Alan