SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-10-11, 12:41 PM   #1
F4LL3N

Default Best heated clothing type?

Hi all,

Haven't been on here in a while! Hope you're all well. I have a 2008 SV650S and I'm looking for heated clothing with adjustable temperature and powered by the motorcycle battery. If possible I would like both for myself and pillion too.

Also, what base layers would work well with any recommended heated clothing?

I would like to use with my current dainese leather so non-bulky heated clothing would be preferred!

Many thanks for your time and I appreciate your recommendations.
Old 29-10-11, 04:08 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Best heated clothing type?

for a full range of what you want/need have a look at Keis stuff. it has the same carbon element technology as exo2 stuff. the exo2 bike body warmer has more heating pads but is more expensive and a bit more bulky also the exo2 gloves are pretty crap as it used wire technology.

http://www.keisapparel.co.uk/

http://www.exo2.co.uk/

all the rest of the heated gear is made using wire as a heating element and is easy to make yourself. wire technology also draws more current from your bike.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-11, 05:16 PM   #3
F4LL3N

Thanks for the reply. So does the keis stuff offer everything I'm after without having to make anything myself? Also what base layers would be good for this setup?

Thanks again!
Old 29-10-11, 05:58 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

the closer you have heated clothing next to your skin the more effective it is. simple t shirt will suffice for wearing under it. if you want more warmth (which i doubt) put on a wind stopper type of garment over the top.

for best results get the body warmer, inner gloves and insoles. you will more then likely have to go up a size on another pair of good waterproof gloves for a good fit, remember if gloves are too tight then they will starve your hands of blood and make things worse same goes for boots, its better to have a little slack in the foot area to create an 'air pocket' around your foot.

it may look expensive to buy everything but you will have the stuff for years and years so it's a good investment.

one more thing.. why inner gloves? well when you wear out your gloves you don't have to buy another pair of heated ones and when the outside temps start to rise again then you put away the heated gear and use the outer gloves for summer.
Old 29-10-11, 06:03 PM   #5
F4LL3N

That's fantastic, really appreciate the help. If I am connecting to the bike battery which controller will I need to use and will it control all garments? Also, do you have this setup so I can see how you have wired it and where it hangs from the bike?

I really appreciate the advice. What do you do about keeping legs warm, or do you not need it with this stuff?
Old 29-10-11, 06:20 PM   #6
F4LL3N

Oh and one other thing - what about connecting two sets at the same time so that a pillion can benefit?
Old 29-10-11, 06:28 PM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

general consensus is that you don't need to heat your legs as the blood flowing round your body will. it won't stop wind chill on your legs which is a different matter all together, for this you get a good windblocker type base layer.

i don't have the keis stuff but i have some of the exo2 stuff that i'm busy making into something better . i just hang the connector out of the side of the seat which reminds me about the exo2 stuff, the connector is on the wrong side as you have to get on the bike to connect it. better having it on the left side of the garment so you can connect before you get on the bike which i think the keis stuff is.

having never tried the keis stuff i can't say how good it is but they use the same heating elements as exo2 which is fantastic and draws very little current from the bike once heated as it 'pulses' (sort of) to keep the heat.

heat wise its nice and warm while moving but can get a bit 'stuffy' while sitting at lights and in town. the exo2 gloves burn the bloody fingers off you in town and at lights but are fine while on the move. the keis stuff is all modular so less wires to route and is controlled by one controller so if you turn it down you turn everything down.

getting the gear on.. it's a pain in the bum routing all the cables but once done and everything on then its all good. you will learn a few tips and tricks to it once you have done it a few times
Old 29-10-11, 06:32 PM   #8
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4LL3N View Post
Oh and one other thing - what about connecting two sets at the same time so that a pillion can benefit?
no problem.. just get another battery connection and route it for the pillion. be very careful about drawing too much current from the bike though. pillion might be better with just gloves and insoles as they don't tend to get as much wind blast as the rider.
Old 29-10-11, 06:38 PM   #9
F4LL3N

Brilliant will look into it, thanks for your help!
Old 30-10-11, 12:00 AM   #10
warmshed

Not endorsing keis clothing (as I use the old wired ones,) but they seem cheaper here, though check what you get first, ie does it come with controller p;ostage etc. http://www.buybits.com/product/7638.aspx

Last edited by warmshed; 30-10-11 at 12:03 AM.