SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-09-14, 06:32 PM   #1
JayJay_Curvy

Default Curvy won't run above 3000rpm.

Hey Guys,

Due to circumstances out of my control my 02 Curvy was left stood unexpectedly for 5 years in a garage not run. Just got bike back and am hoping to get it back on the road to have a bit of Curvy fun again! I need a bit of advice and I know a fair few of you are Curvy experts!!! (I would say I am semi compitent to a level - but am getting out of my depth)

Ok so far -
  • Obviously battery deader than dead so replaced
  • Checked if bike was semi seized before trying to start to avoid further probs, it was so managed to fix it by removing spark plugs and rocking in gear until unsiezed, luckily worked.
  • Emptied old fuel and replaced with new, whilst doing this noticed the bottom of the tank on the inside (no leaks) was really rusty, so rinsed a few times with new fuel
  • Fitted an additional aftermarket fuel filter just in case before starting to try to avoid rust particles going in the carbs.
  • Everything checked then tried to start. Lights on dash but starter button did nothing. Obviously first thing checked was kill switch!!!! Not that.
  • After a lot of research, sourched the problem was the Meta 210T alarm/immobiliser on the bike (fitted when new) that has an internal battery which cannont be replaced and has a max life span of 10 years then once dies disables whole bike!!! Meta's solution was new alarm for £250 which I cant afford so managed to source a bypass plug.
  • Bike started but after a minute fuel was coming out of the front spark plug then the rear so immediatly cut engine, which led me to think the float valve needles in the carbs were seized.
  • Took off carbs and they were seized, so freed off and tested float valves were working. I didnt go further into the carbs than the float valves and needles (which were cleaned with carb cleaner) as didnt feel confident.
  • Carbs Refitted etc.
  • Bike starts and runs on on choke. No fuel from spark plugs so let it warm up a bit seemed ok. Took choke off and ran at normal tickover fine but bike wont rev above 3,000 rpm it backfires and coughs and splutters.
So this make me think its a fueling prob. Need advice on what next as want my curvy running. It's only done 9,000 miles!!!

Is the fuel tank a problem? Is it repairable, does anyone know how to do it or companies that do?. Looked on Ebay and most dont look better than mine and cant get right colour. Is sourcing a rust free tank a solution? Long shot - has anyone got a spare yellow none rusty tank they would consider selling??

Do the carbs need a full overhall - If so how hard is this?, im semi competent. Or do I just take the carbs back off and get a dealer/mechanic to service them??

Could it be something else? I there any other checks you would do??

Any other thoughts or ideas would be most apprieciated.

Cheers Guys
Old 10-09-14, 07:24 AM   #2
Corny Gizmo

Default Re: Curvy won't run above 3000rpm.

If it wont rev past 3k im gonna guess its the carbs, one of the jets will be blocked, because its running fine on the idle jet, but when you give it some its starved of fuel. Im not 100% which jet or what to look for but more than likely will be an obvious blockage around one or more jets in the carbs.
Old 13-09-14, 04:17 PM   #3
JayJay_Curvy

Thanks Corny Gizmo - Think your right and rust particles are still gettin through.

Asked about fuel tank rust they do a kit to repair it for £40, but said sid first check the drainage hole under the fuel cap. They said theres a pipe which goes from there to the drain hose exit, and these sometimes get caught when filling with fuel and break so drainage water goes straight into your tank/fuel. It's not reaparable as is welded on so only option then is new tank off ebay.

They said test it first before spending £40 by blocking the drain hose exit, filling the drain hole under the filler cap with wd, if it stays the same level i'm ok, if it drains out i'm screwed and will need to source new tank. Good on them for not just selling me the reair kit.

Think I will try and fully service carbs myself..................
Old 13-09-14, 07:51 PM   #4
SVGrandad

Sounds like crud in the main jet to me. Even water in there would have the same effect.
Old 14-09-14, 07:33 PM   #5
Moleman

I had this running issue with a ZZR6 i bought which had stood for a long time.
She ran but wouldn't pull at all. I used a half can of BG44 and just took her for a run took about 10 miles and just got better and better until running normal
I used same stuff on most of my bikes and cars just to keep stuff clean and free. Worked for me, I get it on eBay cheaper there just bought couple more cans go £12 each