SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 22-03-07, 11:41 AM   #1
hovis

Default Is Water Repelant Waterproof?

just been to aldi, and the £12.99 rain suit is water repelant NOT waterproof.
it seems quite thin, & i struggled to try the trousers on over my trainers, so boots might have to come off. should pack up nice & small

BUT at £12.99 probaly worth a go .........has anyone got one? i did'nt the word REPELANT put me off,but think i might?

Old 22-03-07, 11:46 AM   #2
Jdubya

Default Re: Is Water Repelant Waterproof?

What did you think of there thermal underwear and mid layer stuff?
Old 22-03-07, 11:53 AM   #3
hovis

the underwear did not look as good as lidl, but the roll necks looked good, tank bag looked about the best buy. gloves looked cheap, chain looked crap, boots, not too bad for the money.........thats all they had in the one i went to
Old 22-03-07, 12:01 PM   #4
Baph

For £12.99 get yourself down to your local hiking shop (eg, Blacks).

Buy some waterproof over trousers. Job done. Thin, lightweight, waterproof. I ride in hiking waterproof's almost daily (unless I KNOW it's not going to rain whilst I'm out).
Old 22-03-07, 12:13 PM   #5
keithd

anything to do with the way things are advertised these days? in my day(!) watches were described as "waterproof" but obviously some bright spark dived to 10 million leagues under the sea and his watch broke, and he probably sued for millions, hence they became water resistant to x.

so maybe they're covering their įrses by saying it'll repell water but its not "proof"....

just a thought.

god im bored.
Old 22-03-07, 12:26 PM   #6
ridelikeaturtle

gotta agree w/Baph. "Waterproof" hiking or biking pants work well, as long as you get get them big enough to go over the leathers. It's tough to find something absolutely 100% waterproof w/o it becoming a sauna. Breathability and waterproof are somewhat at odds, esp at Lidl/Aldi prices .

I got the 1-piece from Lidl, and it seems very good to me. I don't remember if it was listed as waterproof or water resistant, but I haven't gotten wet so far.

"Water resistant" means eventually, in a very prolonged and heavy downpour, you will get seepage. I wouldn't necessarily say they're bad, but just something to be aware of.
Old 22-03-07, 12:50 PM   #7
Jdubya

I got the rollneck for £6.99 but they are just that...cheap and cheerful. Get yourself down to your local HG store...they do an oversuit for a tenner and it hasn't leaked yet...mind, you do sweat like a sailors **** in those tho
Old 22-03-07, 01:41 PM   #8
hovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdubya View Post
I got the rollneck for £6.99 but they are just that...cheap and cheerful. Get yourself down to your local HG store...they do an oversuit for a tenner and it hasn't leaked yet...mind, you do sweat like a sailors **** in those tho

do they? i thought they were £40 the celtic one is anywho

sorry but im not listening to anyone..........im getting the aldi 2 piece. just so you can all point & laugh at me when im wet

Last edited by hovis; 22-03-07 at 01:47 PM.
Old 22-03-07, 03:24 PM   #9
Tomcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovi5 View Post
do they? i thought they were £40 the celtic one is anywho

sorry but im not listening to anyone..........im getting the aldi 2 piece. just so you can all point & laugh at me when im wet
I got the aldi one peice last year, and I haven't got wet! it was cheap as chips. Remember its going over leathers or whatever, so the odd dribble won't matter ..... oh er !
Old 22-03-07, 04:43 PM   #10
kwak zzr

"water repelant NOT waterproof" they prob say that to cover themselfs.