SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-05-16, 01:53 PM   #1
macamxthe1st

Default 2016 sv

Got a 300 mile round trip tomorrow to pick up my new SV650, really looking forward to it. Moving from a 2014 DL650. Always had a fancy for an SV and the initial reviews plus the experience of the DL made my mind up. Next few weeks should see if it was a good move.

Geoff.
Old 04-05-16, 02:58 PM   #2
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: 2016 sv

Hope you enjoy it, the magazine tests I've seen of the 2016 model have been universally positive, and I think the tubular frame looks great.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-16, 04:02 PM   #3
macamxthe1st

Did 202 miles on the new SV coming back up the coast yesterday and a further 100 mucking about locally today. Initial impressions are that this is the most FUN bike that I have had. I will go into more depth when I have time but I am very pleased that I bought it.

Geoff.
Old 06-05-16, 07:38 PM   #4
yokohama

Sounds good. Looking forward to reading a review once you get to know it more.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-16, 10:22 PM   #5
Flybuster

I really like the look of the new SV. Especially the white one with blue wheels. Look forward to the review.
Flybuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-16, 06:56 AM   #6
Swin

My SV is 11 years old now, although it only has 60,000 miles up so plenty of life left in it yet, I'm hoping that suzuki bring out a faired version of the new SV's as I am starting to cast my eye around for a replacement, although I'd be happy with a late year Sport to replace mine I guess - all the same, looking forward to seeing your real-life impressions on the new offering
Swin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-16, 12:42 PM   #7
Trev B

I want to see the turbo twin concept in the flesh !!!!
Old 07-05-16, 01:27 PM   #8
macamxthe1st

Ok, a little bit of background first so as to hopefully give relevance to my initial view. I am 63 years of age and have been riding for 47 years both for leisure and also professionally averaging 15 to 20 thousand miles per year on every type of machine. I am now retired and wanted a bike that hopefully would provide maximum fun with the minimum of effort and you know what I think that is exactly what I have got.

I rode down to Lincoln early Thursday morning to collect my new SV. I decided to ride back using minor roads travelling up the East Coast. First thing that I noticed was how natural the bike felt. Normally even if you are used to riding various bikes it takes a little time to acclimatise to a different machine but I felt at home on the SV virtually straight away.

I run new bikes in by totally ignoring rev limits but by gradually increasing the load and duration of the load over about 500 miles, works for me. As I was able to do this with ease without having to worry about familiarising myself with the bike speaks volumes for the machines user friendliness.

The ride back was 202 miles and apart from a bit of “numb bum” (most likely a combination of old and new, new seat old bum) it was very enjoyable and I started to get an inkling of just how good the thing is.

So here we are on Saturday afternoon, two and a half days after collecting and just over 500 miles clocked up, my view, marvelous.

Obviously early days yet but I can’t get enough of it. Now everybody here knows the SV power unit is one of if not the best real world motorcycle engine ever made and this updated unit is a tangible step forward. The handling is agile and accurate but the suspension is a tad on the hard side but this is brand new and I would expect it to soften somewhat over the next few thousand miles. The brakes which initially felt a little “wooden” (well they would, wouldn't they) are now developing bite and feel. Low speed stuff, “U” turns, town work are ridiculously easy. One big surprise is the 70/80 mph cruising ability, not from an engine point of view as it is very relaxed 70 = 5,000. 83 = 6,000 but from the comfort point of view. I can only put this down to a very smooth non turbulent airflow coming of the front of the bike. Whether this is by design or by accident who knows but it is very effective.

The motor makes a delightful induction noise but is crying out for an end can. The fuelling is spot on with a totally linear delivery.

I have to also mention the 3 years warranty and 7,500 mile service intervals and a price of £5,635 otr. (I’ve lost more than that on first year depreciation on some high end bikes, Ok BMW’s) and this has to be the best buy bike currently available. I have also ridden the competition and believe me the SV is the best of the bunch. I will come back with a more in depth view as the miles rack up but I’m off out on the bike again now.

Geoff.
Old 07-05-16, 02:43 PM   #9
Swin

Nice to see it has generated a positive impression, as I've said before I want to replace my old SV with a new(er) SV some time in the future - I really hope they introduce a Sport model
Swin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-16, 03:45 PM   #10
macamxthe1st

I think that is planned.

Geoff.