SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 19-02-14, 08:12 PM   #41
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gun users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideboy View Post
.... and if they didn't own it legally then I highly doubt they'd be putting threads up on public forums that has police as members.
Like we'd know what to do with it..... I know a fair bit about handguns but sod all about Scatter guns, so I didn't know they automatically cocked when you closed them..... which is why I said I was curious about what led to the OPs question.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-14, 08:16 PM   #42
Specialone

Well RH, if you're ever down Brum way, you can have a go with mine at skeet
Old 19-02-14, 08:50 PM   #43
Fordward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specialone View Post
Oi, I'm not from Kettering !!!
We don't serve your kind....

Old 19-02-14, 08:53 PM   #44
Specialone

Lol, I knew your radar would see that
Old 20-02-14, 10:14 PM   #45
The Basket

Modern revolvers have transfer bars or hammer blocks.
They shouldn't fire accidently on a loaded chamber.
Old 21-02-14, 08:19 PM   #46
tinpants
Ubique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Like we'd know what to do with it..... I know a fair bit about handguns but sod all about Scatter guns, so I didn't know they automatically cocked when you closed them..... which is why I said I was curious about what led to the OPs question.
Shotguns recock when you open them, not when you close them. Just thought I'd clear that one up.

I have 3 shotguns, a high powered air rifle (tested at 11.8 ft/lb) and am currently in the process of gaining my FAC. Some of my shotguns have routinely been used with snap caps some haven't. I personally can't tell the difference. They are all over 20 years old and I have had no problems with any of the mainsprings. With regards to the air rifle it is a PCP multishot type rifle and is kept with the air cylinder charged and the breech open. With a firearm - ie a bolt action FAC type rifle such as a .243, .22250 etc then you are supposed to store the bolt separate from the weapon (or so I'm led to believe)
As an aside, ammunition should be store separately to the weapon but afaik there is no legal requirement to have it locked away. Having said that, my ammo is always locked away.

Last edited by tinpants; 21-02-14 at 08:22 PM.
tinpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-14, 09:18 PM   #47
grimey121uk

Just to clarify a few points there is no issue storing a gun cocked in terms of mechanical damage or safety. How many gunshops use snapcaps in there shotguns or decock rifle bolt, none.

Clearly some people don't understand the difference between cocked and chambered, if a gun is empty it doesn't matter. My shotguns are kept cocked whilst in the safe, one thing to note with OU shotguns is that releasing firing pin tension will transfer the pressure onto the ejector springs. How many people jack their car up at night to relieve spring tension.

In terms of a FAC ammunition, it does need to be stored in a secure cabinet which is separate from your firearms. Rifle bolts can be stored with the rifle but its best practice where reasonably possible (ie. Not a autoloader etc) to store bolts seperatly. Its worth noting that section 2 ammo (bird and buckshot) doesn't need to be stored securely by law however section 1 shotgun ammo does (slugs).

Last edited by grimey121uk; 21-02-14 at 09:38 PM.
Old 21-02-14, 09:43 PM   #48
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimey121uk View Post
Just to clarify a few points there is no issue storing a gun cocked in terms of mechanical damage or safety. How many gunshops use snapcaps in there shotguns or decock rifle bolt, none.

Clearly some people don't understand the difference between cocked and chambered, if a gun is empty it doesn't matter. My shotguns are kept cocked whilst in the safe, one thing to note with OU shotguns is that releasing firing pin tension will transfer the pressure onto the ejector springs. How many people jack their car up at night to relieve spring tension.

In terms of a FAC ammunition, it does need to be stored in a secure cabinet which is separate from your firearms. Rifle bolts can be stored with the rifle but its best practice where reasonably possible (ie. Not a autoloader etc) to store bolts seperatly. Its worth noting that section 2 ammo (bird and buckshot) doesn't need to be stored securely by law however section 1 shotgun ammo does (slugs).
Cheers, that seems to be the general consensus, the money ive spent i just didnt want to do some stupid like inflict premature wear on the components or something.
Old 21-02-14, 09:48 PM   #49
grimey121uk

Quote:
Cheers, that seems to be the general consensus, the money ive spent i just didnt want to do some stupid like inflict premature wear on the components or something.
You won't cause any spring wear at all, even people who disagree and believe springs under tension are bad never consider a deckocked shotgun puts tension onto the ejector springs despite firing pin springs being cheap and ejector springs being expensive.
Old 21-02-14, 10:24 PM   #50
Spank86

Quote:
Probably depends what you consider premature.

If you had a genuine Napoleonic musket I expect it would be a very bad idea to keep it cocked, any spring under tension will weaken over time (compared to one under less tension) no matter how imperceptibly but from the sounds of it in a modern gun it doesn't make any noticeable difference.