SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-06-18, 09:26 AM   #11
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Default Re: Insurance Q: awareness course or points & fine?

For the past two years my car insurers have asked if I have any speeding convictions OR awareness courses in the past 5 years. This was using their online quote / buy system. Failure to disclose is a breach of the contract terms and they can decline a claim if one is made.

I don't recall if the bike insurers asked, but as its up for renewal soon I will check.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-18, 09:53 AM   #12
Craig380
Mega Poster

What happened was this: I was approaching Blaenau, heading North (uphill) on the A496.

Came up behind a slow-moving Micra (doing 40mph uphill where the road is NSL). Continuous traffic the other way, so no immediate chance to overtake.

Then all the traffic in the other direction passes, but there's a left-hand bend approaching. Car in front is still doing 40, I've got enough time to squirt round before the bend. I commit to the overtake, am past the slow-moving vehicle and pulling back in, crossing the dashed white line back to my side of the road just before the bend when .... the police car comes around the corner.

I carry on (should've done a runner ), I see in my mirrors the police car has turned around and is following. I get pulled over.

I didn't watch the dashcam footage. In discussion, the officer said I caused him to have to manoeuvre to avoid me. I'm not 100% sure that was the case, but maybe I did.

I don't think I failed the 'attitude test' as I did stop as quickly and safely as possible, got off the bike, took my helmet off and spoke politely. The officer did all of the bike tax / insurance / license checks before deciding to issue the NIP.

Being honest with myself, it was an impatient overtake, but it wasn't a dangerous / swervy overtake. As luck would have it, the cop car was the ONLY car coming the other way, so if I'd waited another 5 seconds I could have been past the Micra and away without hassle. That's the lesson I've taken from the incident.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-18, 09:57 AM   #13
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
For the past two years my car insurers have asked if I have any speeding convictions OR awareness courses in the past 5 years. This was using their online quote / buy system. Failure to disclose is a breach of the contract terms and they can decline a claim if one is made.

I don't recall if the bike insurers asked, but as its up for renewal soon I will check.
I checked the websites of my bike insurer (Carol Nash) and car insurer (Direct Line) and both say in their FAQs that they don't view courses as convictions, so there's no need to actively inform them. However, if they asked the question of me directly, I would tell them.
Old 27-06-18, 02:09 PM   #14
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Hi Craig380.
Firstly no, you shouldn't have done a runner, you did exactly the right thing.
Secondly if you were past the vehicle and crossing the centre markings when the oncoming vehicle came into view then it extremely unlikely, in fact I'd go so far as to say definitely not, that they have a case for careless driving. Bearing in mind that being on the offside into a left hand bend actually gives you an extended view of opposing traffic, and the fact that you were overtaking a vehicle doing in the region of 40mph suggests this wasn't a particularly tight bend, I'd have told him (them) exactly where they could shove their NIP, however I'm aware that my level of confidence around questioning their evidence may be somewhat higher than yours......

You may well feel that £85 is a reasonable fee for the experience you have gained from this encounter, and you may well be right, but be wary of the law of unintended consequence..... Road safety partnerships that make a lucrative living out of dumbing down our driving legislation may seem harmless enough but each move like this lowers the threshold for everyone. Good luck on the course, have fun, and be sure to pass on my thoughts and compliments.....please!
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-18, 04:08 PM   #15
Bibio
Mega Poster

i agree with RH. if you were on the correct side of the road over the white lines and the oncoming police car had to swerve then i'm afraid to say that they were actually at fault for not paying due care and attention.

at the time i would have asked to see the video evidence and if the video showed that i was on the correct side of the road then like RH i would have politely told them where to shove their NIP. police officers interpret the law at any given time they think an offence has been committed (this is why you are charged with on offence) its up to a court and a judge to determine whether or not you have committed an offence, even the judge is not the law (they dont like being reminded of the fact, just like police officers). the law is what is written in books.

Last edited by Bibio; 27-06-18 at 04:09 PM.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-18, 04:24 PM   #16
Craig380
Mega Poster

@RedHerring & Bibio - in hindsight, I should have asked to see the dashcam footage at the time. You're right, it was not a tight bend, although I couldn't see all the way around it because of roadside bushes etc. I was probably ON the centre markings (single dashed white line, not solid white) when the police car came round, but certainly past the Micra and concluding the overtake (heading back to my side of the road).

What I described above is my view & memory of the incident: the video may have given me a different view, or maybe not. However, the option to see it wasn't offered to me, and I wasn't asked to sit in the police car while the bike tax / license checks were being done. If I'm pulled for any reason in the future, I'll be sure to ask politely about these things.

I'll pass on your compliments on the course too

Last edited by Craig380; 27-06-18 at 04:25 PM.
Old 27-06-18, 04:52 PM   #17
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Are police obliged to show you dashcam footage?
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-18, 05:33 PM   #18
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
Are police obliged to show you dashcam footage?
yes if they have any, with speeding they are also obliged to show the calibration certificate for their speedo/cam.

i've always found that most of the time being nice gets you a long way with misdemeanours or things hovering between black/grey but if they insist on being wipes is when i'll start asking questions.

i have been pulled by the airport (armed response) police for speeding who were adamant i was getting a ticket. i wont go into detail but they had me spread eagle against the police vehicle when i started questioning them. the final nail in the coffin was me telling them they had no "official business" carrying loaded side arms while questioning me as they were out of their jurisdiction.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote