SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-01-07, 09:17 AM   #1
Dave The Rave

Default first week is almost over

This was the first week I used my Hornet to commute to work. So far I have mixed feelings.

POSITIVES:

1) I am enjoying the possibility to filter (not good at it yet but when I manage to go through it gives me massive satisfaction).
2) I enjoy the riding, the sound of the engine and sensation of speed.
3) I get to the office feeling happy - not sure how to explain that but never felt that way when was using the car.

NEGATIVES:

1) Other road users - I had 2 cars pulling in front of me during the 20 mile trip on M60,M62. Both totally unexpected maneuvers with no reason for them changing lanes. This makes me feel very vulnerable.
2) I hate riding in the winds.
3) My visor gets mucky and there are no screen wiper on it!!! Someone advised to the V-Wipe on my glove to clean the visor. I am looking into it so this may not be an issue next week.
4) Reading other people's comments on filtering - makes me realize I am cr4p at it.
Old 19-01-07, 09:36 AM   #2
Baph

Default Re: first week is almost over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave The Rave
POSITIVES:

1) I am enjoying the possibility to filter (not good at it yet but when I manage to go through it gives me massive satisfaction).
2) I enjoy the riding, the sound of the engine and sensation of speed.
3) I get to the office feeling happy - not sure how to explain that but never felt that way when was using the car.
All good stuff.
Quote:
NEGATIVES:

1) Other road users - I had 2 cars pulling in front of me during the 20 mile trip on M60,M62. Both totally unexpected maneuvers with no reason for them changing lanes. This makes me feel very vulnerable.
2) I hate riding in the winds.
3) My visor gets mucky and there are no screen wiper on it!!! Someone advised to the V-Wipe on my glove to clean the visor. I am looking into it so this may not be an issue next week.
4) Reading other people's comments on filtering - makes me realize I am cr4p at it.
1) Bikes are vulnerable (as I'm sure you already knew), it's what I call acceptable risk. Expect the unexpected.
2) Not much can be done, except slowing down or not riding. The latter isn't an option for me (well, I could get to work without riding, but no, it's not happening).
3) Good luck with it, I use one all the time, wonderful invention!
4) No, you're not. Seriously. You're learning to filter still. So long as you're safe, and you don't crash, IMO, that means you're good at it.
Old 19-01-07, 10:54 AM   #3
tricky

Quote:
Other road users - I had 2 cars pulling in front of me during the 20 mile trip on M60,M62. Both totally unexpected maneuvers with no reason for them changing lanes. This makes me feel very vulnerable.
Sadly thats just how it is, just keep your **** wired tight and develop eyes in the back of your head.

Quote:
Reading other people's comments on filtering - makes me realize I am cr4p at it.
Don't worry about it, you'll get more confident with time. I'm a pretty cautious filterer myself.

My little rules on filtering are:
Is the advantage I'm going to make, worth the risk.
Where's my escape.
If in doubt, don't filter.
Old 19-01-07, 11:16 AM   #4
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Was stuck on M25 yesterday, in a big jam around M40. What struck me was the speed a lot of bikes filter at. 40 odd mph between stationary traffic is asking for trouble IMO. Once or twice a bike came past on the inside of me that I had not spotted, at a rate of knots!

As long as you filter at a sensible speed compared to the rest of the traffic, then you will be fine.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-07, 11:17 AM   #5
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants
40 odd mph between stationary traffic is asking for trouble IMO.
Old 19-01-07, 11:57 AM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Nah, crap filterers are the ones that end up parked in a car's boot. Safe and cautious and within your comfort zone and skill level is good filtering. Don't mistake speed for quality, you can see fast bad filtering any day of the week.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-07, 12:59 PM   #7
Dave The Rave

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
Quote:
Nah, crap filterers are the ones that end up parked in a car's boot. Safe and cautious and within your comfort zone and skill level is good filtering. Don't mistake speed for quality, you can see fast bad filtering any day of the week.
Fair enough but I aspire towards fast and good filtering.
Old 19-01-07, 01:03 PM   #8
northwind
Mega Poster

Yep, course you do But if you rush into it you'll be a hood ornament...
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote