SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-07-07, 05:44 PM   #1
ejtrent

Default Bike choice

Hey tehre again guys, I've got a predicament here,

I'm not sure whether to go with an older 400cc bike (like the VFR or ZXR 400) or to go and buy a curvey.

Both have similar pricing and speed, however the 400's would be far older and i dont want to comprimise reliability.

Which would be the better buy? would the 400 necessarily have more problems or not?

Thanks.
Old 17-07-07, 06:05 PM   #2
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Re: Bike choice

Generally less spares (and more expensive), harder to find, less choice,higher servicing on the 400's (although they do a sv400 as well in curvy), but if you're after something special as a weekend toy then you can get some smart looking greys (zxr400 was a grey as well as an official uk model), however the SV will be a A better durable option for everyday use.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-07, 06:18 PM   #3
ejtrent

Yeah all fingers point to the SV, just seems the smarter choice, and with the support of a community like this, I cant go wrong

Thanks for the quick reply Ric
Old 17-07-07, 06:26 PM   #4
rictus01
Mega Poster

No problem, stick your location in your profile and get down to a local meet I'm sure the guys will make you welcome.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
Old 17-07-07, 06:32 PM   #5
ejtrent

I live in Bournemouth, the bigger town next to Poole.

Im 10 minute from Poole Quay
Old 17-07-07, 06:38 PM   #6
rictus01
Mega Poster

Well I'll be off the road in a couple of months time ( more knee OP's) so don't know whenI'll be riding after that, but I've done Poole a few times myself and I know the guys do the Tuesday night meet there most times,have a look in the regional groups for there regular meetup.

Also got the GM group meet in surrey which could be do able ?

Cheers Mark.
Old 17-07-07, 07:14 PM   #7
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

I'd go for the SV any day, a grey 400 will probably have a better suspension setup as stock but the thought of an IL4 with all those tiny little valves scares me, top end work would be a nightmare and my pockets aint deep enough for such things!
Old 17-07-07, 07:18 PM   #8
Sosha

Plus1 for the SV being a more practical choice...

It'll be harder to find a nice 400 & for the money I'm not sure you couldn't do better...

The www.400greybike.co.uk forums are good for info on 400s...they're a helpful bunch too...

I've had a couple of 400s (VFR & FZR) VFR was a better bike in both build quality, practicality & comfort (plus v4 and all that) - the FZR was fun (and a lot cheaper/ tattier/ designed to be thrashed etc) - kept the FZR until it wore out...(old age again)
Now have a 2004 SV which I got back at the end of April & V Happy with it....

Personally I wouldn't have another 400 for a road bike - but then I've already had 2....

Thought about any of the 600s out there?

hmmmm not helping really....I'll go away

Old 17-07-07, 08:10 PM   #9
danf1234

I bought a VFR400 from a dealer in Doncaster. It was stolen, and written off. (at different times)

I got my money back by writing a letter to MCN.

The trouble with 400;s is the market is full of well thrashed ****e.