SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 29-08-09, 03:48 PM   #1
El Saxo

Default The English are coming...

Well, one of them is anyway!

I couldnt make it up to the Glencoe Massacre due to work and stuff, but I'm going to be staying at the Clachaig Inn in Glencoe next week, so I figured it would be a crime not to bring the SV!

I've been up that way once before but only got as far as the commando memorial at Spean Bridge, and we never really ventured off the A82, except to do the loop around Loch Leven itself, so I was hoping some of you lovely people might be able to recommend some roads around there that I can explore within a day's riding please? Sadly I'll only have 1 day where I can go for a ride .

If it's not far from the start of the GMII route, maybe I could just do that, if anyone still has the route saved anywhere?

Any recommendations welcome please, & if anyone wants to join me for a bimble / brew stop somewhere that'd be ace, though I don't know yet which day I'll be playing out - it'll be either Friday 4th or Saturday 5th though.

Thanks guys

Andy
Old 29-08-09, 05:11 PM   #2
Tiger 55

Default Re: The English are coming...

Crazy not to go to Skye. Madness.

How does this look? Linky

Add the obvious loops to Uig and/or Dunvegan if you want more, turn right before Broadford for the bridge if you want less.

Last edited by Tiger 55; 29-08-09 at 05:13 PM.
Old 29-08-09, 05:21 PM   #3
haggis

Something like this.....

Incorporated as many nice roads within the area as I could -ie. Spean Br. Invergarry, Carrbridge, Glenshee, Laggan, the southside of loch ness is a bonus!

About 260miles, mostly quiet-ish roads where possible.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&so...48&ie=UTF8&z=8

Loads of options in other directions too. Mallaig/Skye/Applecross/Invegarry?
Corran/Oban/Loch Fyne/Arrochar?
Laggan/Aberfeldy/Killin/Callander/Dukes Pass (twice of course!)/Crianlarich

What I'm saying is - bring the bike - you simply cant pick a bad direction to head off into.
Old 29-08-09, 06:55 PM   #4
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Make it Saturday
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-09, 04:55 PM   #5
El Saxo

Thanks for the maps guys, I just have to decide which route to choose now!

Darren - I won't know whether it'll be Friday or Saturday pretty much until I get there and see what my mates plans are - the guys I'm going with don't ride so we'll be walking or mountain biking one of the days while we're there and then I'll be free the other day. I'll post as soon as I know what we're doing
Old 02-09-09, 10:53 PM   #6
El Saxo

Righto, still don't know which day I'll be hooning around yet, but am thinking of doing Tiger's route cos I've wanted to go to Skye for a while.

Just a question about the ferries though, what's the best thing to do, stay sat on the bike to keep it steady, or do they strap it down? I haven't been on a ferry with the bike before so a bit nervous of it tipping over!
Old 02-09-09, 11:04 PM   #7
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

You don't need straps on the Corran ferry. Just leave the bike in gear. It's a very short trip and the ferry doesn't go fast.
Don't know about the Mallaig ferry but they will have straps if they are needed. Just watch when they put them on the bike. Either straps or they might have those front wheel clamps. Not sure, I haven't been on the Mallaig ferry
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-09, 06:34 AM   #8
Tiger 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Saxo View Post
Just a question about the ferries though, what's the best thing to do, stay sat on the bike to keep it steady, or do they strap it down?
Here we are on the Mallaig ferry, straps and protective foamy bits provided, leaving you free to roam the upper decks making pirate noises. (Not compulsory.)

Old 03-09-09, 02:03 PM   #9
haggis

Oh nice one. Yep, the Mallaig ferry boys are used to taking care of bikes. Gives you a chance for a well earned cuppa and caramel slice.

If you're planning wandering round these parts I'll see if I'm free and we can meet up, maybe do a lap of the Skye TT if that grabs you, lol.
Old 03-09-09, 03:06 PM   #10
Kilted Ginger

One thing, the mallaig ferry can get busy, perhaps not at this time of year though.
they only have room for 10 or 12 bikes.
the last time we went over we had booked, there were a group there who haddn't and failed to get on their third ferry (all were full) so had to go back to ft william and up that way.
moght be ok at this time of year but.... just a heads up.