SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-02-08, 11:11 AM   #1
adw

Default Disappointed in build quality

I have kept my bike mostly hibernated through this winter and it still is tucked away right now. I tucked it away clean and with protective spray on it but it has still furred up in places and I can't believe a 6 month old bike has done this. My pushbike has been used throughout winter with no cleaning or anything and it is less furry than my unused bike!

Why on earth do we buy em if they're made of such crap materials. My dad's kawasaki and honda have had worse treatment and look in better nick than my bike and they're 2> years old.

I appreciate the sv is a great bike and good fun but the build quality is awful. Sorry just a bit annoyed and need to vent some frustration!

Can someone recommend to best way of cleaning up the metal parts pointed at below, they have gone a dark manky colour and autosol doesn't do a thing to them. Copyright to kwak's cuz who's picture i've used. (hope you don't mind!)

Here starts the long process of trying to restore a 6month old bike to how it should look. ( i hope)

Last edited by adw; 04-02-08 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-02-08, 11:15 AM   #2
jambo
Mega Poster

Default Re: Disappointed in build quality

You're joking right? My bike was dirtier than that the day I bought it. And it looked pretty good on that day....

Edit: On a serious note some people have recomended Autosol, others have found car alloy wheel cheaner helpful (But that stuff's very strong so use it carefully)

Last edited by jambo; 04-02-08 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Forgot to offer any helpful advice what so ever
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-08, 11:17 AM   #3
adw

That's not my bike m8. I'm using some else's pic cos i don't have any pics of mine. I wish my bike still looked like that!
Old 04-02-08, 11:18 AM   #4
Ceri JC

Yes, as jambo says, that looks absolutely gleaming.

Edit: Ah, that makes a bit more sense, you were just pointing out the bits that have tarnished?

Last edited by Ceri JC; 04-02-08 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Just saw adw's post
Old 04-02-08, 11:23 AM   #5
adw

Yeah i've changed my pic now to state that! That bike is cleaner than when i bought my bike new!
Old 04-02-08, 11:24 AM   #6
G
Mega Poster

If Autosol isnt working, your not trying hard enough . I use the autoglym alternative and it brings them up very nice indeed. If your washing salt off with warm water it can make life very difficult and really mess up metal surfaces. Always use cold with no soap in you bucket water to wash off salt. Then swap to warm water and soap.

When you spend so little on a new bike, you have to, to some extent, expect it to be made of cheaper materials.

As the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Its a cheap bike that performs very well. If you want better quality you have to pay for it.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-08, 11:24 AM   #7
neio79

its Suzuki, need i say more!!! they are the Fiats and Alpha's of bikes!!!

runs off to check the Kwak is still looking good!!
Old 04-02-08, 11:26 AM   #8
G
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by neio79 View Post
its Suzuki, need i say more!!! they are the Fiats and Alpha's of bikes!!!

runs off to check the Kwak is still looking good!!
Thats not true they have bullet proof reliable mechanics and electrics. They are the french cars of the biking world.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-08, 11:26 AM   #9
adw

I like your kwak neio. Wish i could convince my missus it's a good idea. Yours is stunning!

Do they hold up well in winter? My dad's has faired well.

Last edited by adw; 04-02-08 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-02-08, 11:41 AM   #10
DanAbnormal

As others have said, it's a Suzuki mate. Some cheap-ass components to keep the overall costs down. That being said, my Ninja has show some signs of furring (on the brake hose clips and hoses that go into teh caliper) and that is only 6 months old. But then I have been ridign it through 'winter' though. Still, nothing that a good clean won't fix.