SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 13-08-11, 11:02 PM   #1
Bri w

Default Do you ever feel like...?

Do you ever feel like saying stuff it...?

Down the years I've always thought I was of a generous nature. I've seen me quite literally give my last £10 to a beggar, and struggle the 4 days left to pay day - and I've done that at least 4 times. I've seen me give a pair of gloves I've been wearing to someone who so obviously needs them more than me.

If the training course I'm 1/2 way through is successful I'll be spending 2 Saturday nights a month, 8pm to 2am, helping the most needy in our society. And I will miss next week's training coz I'll be 'enjoying' myself doing a charity walk which quite honestly the arthritis will not take kindly to.

And best not even look at what my payslip says I'm paying in tax and N.I. for our wonderful society...

After the headlines in the last week I feel like telling society to go and do one...

Are you becoming immune to the rattle of the charity box?

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-11, 02:04 AM   #2
-Ralph-

Default Re: Do you ever feel like...?

Not really, but then I've always chosen which charities that I support and whilst I do tend to favour supporting home grown charities, that would never include anything that supports healthy UK adults, they can make their own luck. So I don't feel like society is kicking anything back in my face. My tax bill is scary though and I do resent seeing tax money wasted.

In my personal life, as I've got older I've perhaps become more selfish in terms of not worrying what other people think, and doing what I want to do with my time. For instance, if my mother wants me there for xmas, for the third year running, and I want to spend xmas at home, I'll tell her no, and I'll stay at home. And if family start disapproving of something I'm doing, I'll just tell them straight that it's my life, not theirs. I'll still give time and money to help anyone that needs help though, and friends, family and neighbours know that they only need ask and the answer will always be yes.

Where I really feel "stuff it" nowadays is on this forum, in terms of being charitable with my good nature, when I log on here it goes out of the window and has done for the past couple of years, because I learned that this is one place where it really can get thrown back in your face. A shame because when it was a smaller forum with fewer active members, it didn't used to be like that, but it's just another slice section of society like any other internet forum nowadays and you get all sorts. I guess it's a similar thing, just that this forum is the closest I get to interacting with society as a group, rather than interacting with individuals.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 14-08-11 at 02:18 AM.
Old 14-08-11, 05:05 AM   #3
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Absolutely, but mainly because most charities are (my opinion) primarily a business. I'll support local charities that take blind people out for the day, want a hospital scanner or toys for the kids, but the big charities make my blood boil sometimes. One came a knocking at the door the other day, dresssed in his suit with his reflective tabbard on, telling me how my suggested £150 donation (over 3 months) would save the third world. After a 'choice' conversation it became aparrant the first month went directly in his own pocket. Or the charity that sacks a fundraiser (who has raised over 1 million in his time) for not making enough - and thats from a board member who pays herself over 60k PA from the said charity.
I take my hat off to charitable people, Bri you sound a shining example, but charities - stop bunging all those fecking bags through my door and do one.
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-11, 07:24 AM   #4
TamSV
Mega Poster

If more of us gave a little of themselves (and I don't mean money) to their local community, as you do Bri, we'd all be living in a nicer place IMO.
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-11, 07:35 AM   #5
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamSV View Post
If more of us gave a little of themselves (and I don't mean money) to their local community, as you do Bri, we'd all be living in a nicer place IMO.
+1
If there was a scheme where everybody in the community gave a few saturdays a year for local projects, I'd do my bit.
Trouble is where I live it's a bit divided, there's a crappy council estate other side of the area where 50% of the people wouldn't do anything and probably vandalise anything built for them.

Edit, mucho respecto Bri btw, takes a good soul to do stuff like you do, top work

Last edited by Specialone; 14-08-11 at 07:38 AM.
Old 14-08-11, 07:41 AM   #6
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post

A shame because when it was a smaller forum with fewer active members, it didn't used to be like that, but it's just another slice section of society like any other internet forum nowadays and you get all sorts. I guess it's a similar thing, just that this forum is the closest I get to interacting with society as a group, rather than interacting with individuals.
Does this coincide with me joining Col ???
Old 14-08-11, 07:52 AM   #7
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Yes Bri.....you aren't on your own, you aren't getting an old father jack character sitting in the corner, waving a stick and smelling of wee, with the odd feck thrown in
Petes tax wedge each month is perhaps more than some peoples wagesWe certainly aren't rich, and this has only been happening for the last three months, we've struggled on one wage for nearly a year, and now we're out of that, we get slapped, so no better off!
People may not particularly think this is very nice, but how many people get fed up with small children dying being rammed in your face when you are eating your dinner at night? I use this as an example, because its true for us. I know there is a very big problem in Africa, has been for years but I don't need it constantly hitting me in the face when I'm relaxing in an evening thanks.
Between us we have done charity walks, cycles and donated towards those that have done the same, but we grow increasingly tired of all the charities advertising they want more etc
It won't be long before we see a 'charity donation' on our wages slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post

Where I really feel "stuff it" nowadays is on this forum, in terms of being charitable with my good nature, when I log on here it goes out of the window and has done for the past couple of years, because I learned that this is one place where it really can get thrown back in your face. A shame because when it was a smaller forum with fewer active members, it didn't used to be like that, but it's just another slice section of society like any other internet forum nowadays and you get all sorts. I guess it's a similar thing, just that this forum is the closest I get to interacting with society as a group, rather than interacting with individuals.
This is interesting, and a rather plus one from me.
Now then, heres the thing for me. I took on the AR because I wanted to bring the guys back together, I bust a gut to make it the best possible AR ever ever ever, not for gratifcation or glorification, but because I wanted to show people how much I care for those I call friends over the years, and to provide a good feeling place for all to come to.
For those that went, 'old school org' have rung, text, PM'd thanking me for efforts and saying how much of a good time they had, and they'll remember it for a long time, old friends and all that. Others its their first and memorable for other reasons, they thanked publically on a thread, but they don't know me, so wouldn't be doing as the others do. I don't need thanks peeps, I did it becuase I really am a good natured soul, and would do it all again, because I enjoy seeing people smile. The times are hard at the moment, and people need a bit of happiness in their lives, if only for a weekend full of rain

......but this is my act of charity, it took a whole lot of great effort from just two people, and on the day people who are of a good nature came together and helped out, because they weren't asked, they weren't involved in th erun up, they just did there and then, because they are good people

You come back on here, and its business as usual, you are patronising, boring, your posts don't count for ****, you can't ride, etc etc etc

You know what, its the younger end.....omg there you go the age thing again.......but it really is the truth! These guys have no idea what life is about, they have no idea about how to behave in society, you know why.....because its all me, me, me bloody me! They wouldn't have a BBQ on their last pennies and invite mates off the org, when it was only supposed to be the family, they wouldn't decide to organise an AR 'FOR the BENEFIT OF OTHERS'

and tbh honest they could argue the toss about all these riots, that they are terrible people, when in fact, they are of a generation, where even the good ones have a thin line between them and a hoody with a petrol bomb in his hand. I'm a people watcher, I notice. Luckily there are some really good eggs on the younger end of society, I know who they are, but to me, the majority don't have a clue, because they are all molecuddled, they all live at home with mummy and daddy, they all get it handed on a plate, they have no idea how to knuckle down, so you can buy a house, have a family, and tackle life.
I'm rich in other ways, I know the way of the world, I play it every day, yes I am an opinionated, condescending prat sometimes, but you know what, I've done so much in this world, I have a right to be just so.........I've earned that rightt.

ooooo get me, ranting off again. Yep, give it, can't take much of it, but why should I? Come back and do the things I've done in my life, then tell me you* understand life, and tell me why you now have the right to act like a tosser on a board filled with useless names

*you, as in the reader.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12

Last edited by dizzyblonde; 14-08-11 at 08:04 AM.
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-11, 08:08 AM   #8
tigersaw
Mega Poster

steady on (enhance your calm)
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-11, 08:19 AM   #9
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Perfectly calm, Bri asked a question, I answered with my opinion.

See, society today, people like me aren't allowed an opinion, probably why the world is a mess, as only those with eyes wide closed, are the ones given the right to air a view.

I have my eyes perfectly wide open. I have principles and morals, which in reality deep down counts for not a lot these days. Every man for themselves, and they'll stamp all over those who wish to stand in their way.
Eventually the good peson always gets hurt

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-11, 09:27 AM   #10
tonyk
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyblonde View Post
Perfectly calm, Bri asked a question, I answered with my opinion.

See, society today, people like me aren't allowed an opinion, probably why the world is a mess, as only those with eyes wide closed, are the ones given the right to air a view.

I have my eyes perfectly wide open. I have principles and morals, which in reality deep down counts for not a lot these days. Every man for themselves, and they'll stamp all over those who wish to stand in their way.
Dizzy.........
yes but also.
Eventually the good peson always WINS !!

"Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and clear all doubts."
Some days its not even worth chewing through the restraints...
tonyk is offline   Reply With Quote