SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 18-08-11, 04:20 PM   #101
dyzio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Michelin Pilot Road 3's

LP,
I remember the PR2 having a round profile, so to speak, whereas the Storms are described as having a steep profile.

Can you feel any difference when you tip the bike into a corner? Why do I think the PR3 (if it's the same as the PR2) would be slower to tip in?
dyzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-11, 04:29 PM   #102
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
I had a set fitted on Thursday last and can tell you that dry grip is excellent. There is no tearing on the edges/shoulders yet, despite some spirited riding that would have Avon Storms puckering up...

So far I'm liking the very progressive roll-in to full lean, the front has a very round profile which makes them lean in nicely and are super stable banked over. Downside is that the steering is a lot slower, making fast direction changes harder - it can also feel like the bike is understeering because I expect it turn faster.

So far a happy camper with 400+ miles on them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyzio View Post
LP,
I remember the PR2 having a round profile, so to speak, whereas the Storms are described as having a steep profile.

Can you feel any difference when you tip the bike into a corner? Why do I think the PR3 (if it's the same as the PR2) would be slower to tip in?
See my original impression of the tyres when fitted. Turn in is a bit slower, but I am used to the turn in now. To get faster direction changes I just counter-steer more aggressively, never feels like it is slow, just needs a bit more input.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-11, 11:54 AM   #103
metalhead19

Now that people have had these a while, what do you think of them?
How do they compare in terms of dry vs wet grip? I heard that they are meant to be great in the wet but lacking abit in the dry?
Old 27-08-11, 08:59 AM   #104
christopher

Replaced mine with a fresh set yesterday mid trip.

Got 5800 miles out of the old ones. Sides were pretty close to the wear markers front and rear. Rear centre was bald (the final 800 miles of motorway (in one day, not planned - that's a story for another time) finished it off) and front was close so changed both.

Dry grip is awesome. As is wet grip. Still much happier with these, personally, than the Storm 2 Ultras. Had the pegs scraping down round the Nürburgring with virtually no effort.
christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-11, 10:08 AM   #105
Specialone

I've done 1600 miles on mine now, I'm probably not the best person to comment on their ability at the limits as they never get took their on my bike, but from what they do get from me they seem ok, defo move around more, I can sense under heavy braking that they are softer or something, but I've got used to them a bit now.
They did slide a couple of times in the early miles ( after scrubbing in) while cornering but have been ok since.
Only used a few times in the wet and not pushed on with them cos I don't like wet weather riding but didn't give me any reason to not trust them tbh.
Old 30-08-11, 04:50 PM   #106
christopher

Put a little over 800 miles on the new ones over the weekend... I adore these tyres

Sent using Tapatalk
christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-11, 07:36 PM   #107
manofmayhem

hi all. ive just joined this forum and i purchased a sv650s k1 2 months ago as my first bike. i dont think i could of picked a better bike! anyway, it came with some bt020s on when i first bought it and not a great deal of tread on them, i had a couple of incidents in the rain and did not like it confidence was low on these tyres in the rain so i bought some pilot road 3s on tuesday! so what can i say about these tyres? well, they saved me from a crash today! i was doing about 45 around a blind bend on a 60mph on a wet country lane on wet and on the exit a woman decided to stop on the road to let 2 ducks cross the road, haha. well i wasnt laughing at the time because i had about 3 seconds to impact. i applied my front brake and had to squeeze pretty quick which fortunately stopped me in time. i banged my horn and shook my fist at her and her reply was to laugh and point at the ducks? anyway, if your going to put a price on your life i would definatley pay that little bit more for these tyres again. 10/10
Old 08-11-11, 09:32 AM   #108
brim23

I'm thinking of changing to these myself as I have the dual compound storm ultras on now, but wouldn't recommend as there terrible in the wet and give you no confidence that your going to make the end of your journey still on the bike!!
Old 08-11-11, 09:53 AM   #109
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by brim23 View Post
I'm thinking of changing to these myself as I have the dual compound storm ultras on now, but wouldn't recommend as there terrible in the wet and give you no confidence that your going to make the end of your journey still on the bike!!
Sorry but I have to totally disagree with your assessment of the Storms. I have thousands of miles in all conditions on Storms and they are one of the best wet weather tyres around. I changed to the PR3s just for a 'change' and to see if I getter longer life from them. If you struggle in the wet with Storms, then changing to the PR3s wont help you because I find very little difference in performance, both are excellent in the wet.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 07:29 PM   #110
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

I'm with Mike on that, storms have been spot on for me.