SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

South & West Surfers Just for the guys and gals in the south and south west of the UK.

Old 22-08-11, 07:31 PM   #1
kellyjo

Default Newbury to Cheddar - route suggestions pls

HI guys n gals of the South and West,

Im spending Fri 1st Sept in Newbury and want to spend 3 or 4 hours on the saturday morning riding the nicest possible route over to Cheddar. Id hate to miss the good roads so wondered if you could suggest the best ones to use!!

Thanks, KJ xx
Old 22-08-11, 08:31 PM   #2
The Idle Biker

Default Re: Newbury to Cheddar - route suggestions pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyjo View Post
HI guys n gals of the South and West,

Im spending Fri 1st Sept in Newbury and want to spend 3 or 4 hours on the saturday morning riding the nicest possible route over to Cheddar. Id hate to miss the good roads so wondered if you could suggest the best ones to use!!

Thanks, KJ xx
You will definitely get better answers than this as I don't know the area too well, but the A4 from Newbury to Marlborough is really a bit wierd. I've been down there about 10 times now and cars seem to pull over to let you pass. The road is very wide it's like a dual carriage way wide but its one big lane. If you go really fast it could be a twisty but if not it's just pleasantly meandering. There are NO speed cameras as far as I've seen but there are signs for them. The scenery is nice and the towns on the way non grid locked. The road is not busy cause I think everyone goes down the M4 now. Have a look on an old Porlock thread, I'm sure the locals have posted past routes and they know best. Au revoir.
Old 19-06-12, 09:21 PM   #3
StewartR

If you leave Newbury on any road that's not the A343 to Andover then go back and do it again. Then Ludgershall, Upavon and up to Devizes. Not sure where's best from there but just head West and all will be good. Or you could just turn back when you get to Andover and spend all day on the A343.

If you must take A4 the then please don't bring it back.

Last edited by StewartR; 19-06-12 at 09:23 PM. Reason: I is a ****.
Old 19-06-12, 09:47 PM   #4
widepants

matey ... you are a tad late on this one
widepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-12, 10:15 PM   #5
StewartR

That's odd. Swear this came up as a recent post. You can have your forum back now then.
Old 19-06-12, 10:33 PM   #6
rictus01
Mega Poster

and you're also wrong, apart from the A343 to Andover going the wrong way, the B4494 is a better ride....
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-12, 07:59 AM   #7
StewartR

The road up to Wantage? That is a goodun - that bit where you break over the downs and there's that ribbon of tarmac leading straight to Mirthsville *grins* Have to put it back to back with the A343 (any excuse) to see but I reckon the A343 pips it.

And if a good road appears to be going the wrong way your destination is clearly in the wrong place.