SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-02-11, 06:14 PM   #1
BaP

Default B1h shock fitted - Pointy

So I asked Squirrel_Hunter to help me sort the suspension out on my 2005 SV650. Always happy to help, it turned out he had a B1h 636 (05ish we think) shock and asked me to do some research to see if it would fit. Without much research I swore blind that it would.

So, we got the bike up on the Abba stand:

We took pretty much everything off that appeared to be in the way so we can see the standard shock:

Then removed the standard shock:

I then cleaned up the new shock ready for it to go in:

Old shock vs. new shock and the precision instrument used to remove some of the tougher bolts:

Now the problem, the bolts. The standard shock is threaded at the bottom but the new one wasn't. So, needed a new nut and bolt of the bottom. Old bolt was 56mm and new bolt 63mm with a 2.5mm washer:

We put the new shock in using the new nut and bolt. Now the problems!

Using a bolt this length was just long enough so that the locking nut gripped but when the dogbones were back on, the nut appeared to rub against the dogbone on the right hand side. We did try to space it but we were fast running out of time.

Also, the battery box! We made a slight mod to it, but didn't really have enough time to mess around with it properly and cut bits off of it and raise the battery. So, we took it out and put it back to standard.

I can take the blame, I'm new to all of this so it took me an AGE to do anything. Squirrel_Hunter providing guidance all the way but not doing it for me. All in all, I learned a lot but it's a bit of a shame it didn't go in this time round.

FINAL big thanks to the provider of the downforce for the day, Stretchie. Me and the breaker bar/torque wrench couldn't have done it without you:

Last edited by BaP; 28-02-11 at 08:12 PM.
Old 28-02-11, 06:45 PM   #2
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Default Re: B1h shock mod

I did this mod on a curvy so don't have a vast amount experience on a pointy..but the bolt on a curvy needs to go in the opposite way to what it was on the standard shock. The dog bones are slightly offset giving the clearance needed. Something to consider maybe?
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-11, 07:10 PM   #3
BaP

Default Re: B1h shock mod

I see - we did have some lateral movement when the bike was on the stand. Does that stop that too if the bolt is put in from the right?
Old 01-03-11, 08:38 AM   #4
mikerj

Default Re: B1h shock fitted - Pointy

One tip I can give is to chop off the threaded side of the 'fork' on the original shock and use it as a slim nut on your replacement shock. Obviously this renders your OEM shock as scrap, but they pretty much were scrap from the factory
mikerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-11, 09:27 AM   #5
BaP

We used one of those precision measuring things with a digital display to give an exact measurement. We needed exactly a 2.5mm washer and the one we used was 2.56mm so don't need to do that. Bl00dy thing was still rubbing, but will try the bolt from the other side next time.
Old 01-03-11, 09:43 AM   #6
_Stretchie_
Large Member
Mega Poster

What makes you think you are allowed back in the garage?

Look right-> <-Look Left
_Stretchie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-11, 11:54 AM   #7
SUPERSTARDJ01

Why would you want to? I have a b1h and shock is rock hard even with professional assistance adjusting it, I had a curvy and yes it was soft but surely there's a better shock than the B1 for your pointy?
Old 01-03-11, 01:37 PM   #8
BaP

Quite possibly there is. I'm around 14 stone kitted up - will that still make it too stiff?

And, sorry Stretchie
Old 01-03-11, 02:25 PM   #9
SUPERSTARDJ01

I'm about the same or a little more, mine was set-up best as possible by Dave wood racing and it's better but still very very stiff, you will jump out of the seat at little bumps.