SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-02-10, 10:25 PM   #1
Maverick9999

Default Guess the squeak!

Hi there,

I've finally joined the SV650 club and gotten a K4 pointy last week. The bike's great but it seems to have one annoying feature which I've noticed whilst riding it.

There's a repetitive squeaking noise when I ride the bike at low speeds. It's not particularly loud but it usually can be heard at the start of the journey and at low speeds. It gets less audible after about 5mins of riding but it can recur at other random times e.g. after I have taken a turn.

The bike has a scot-oiler which needs to be filled-up at the moment so I thought it might be the oil needle rubbing against the rear sprocket. I sprayed wd40 on the sprocket and near the rear wheel axle in case it there was grit in it.

The sound still hasn't gone away. Thinking about it, the sound may be coming from the front wheel Iobviously I can't check whilst riding) so I might lube the front axle just in case. Failing that I'll need to get a paddock stand and then get someone to rev the rear wheel whilst I try to locate the source of the noise. Any ideas on what else it might be/ what I need to check?
Old 22-02-10, 11:02 PM   #2
fastdruid
Mega Poster

Default Re: Guess the squeak!

Please don't use WD40 to 'lube' things. Use proper multi-purpose lithium based grease and oil on the chain.

Druid
Old 22-02-10, 11:33 PM   #3
Uu Mr.E uU

yes WD40 is NOT an oil so dont use it to lube things ok. have you tried cleaning of the break dust from the pads as you can get squeal from them every now an' then.
Old 22-02-10, 11:33 PM   #4
davepreston

check chain tightness
Old 23-02-10, 12:56 AM   #5
monkimagic

Chain tightness is the likely culprit, but if its from the front check the brakes are not binding.
monkimagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-10, 11:00 AM   #6
Maverick9999

Thanks guys. I've binned the WD40. Will check the chain tension this weekend.
Old 23-02-10, 06:26 PM   #7
oliciv

I had a noise that sounds a bit like that once, turned out to be something in one of the brake calipers dragging on the disk. If it's something like that, get it seen to before it destroys the disk
Old 25-02-10, 09:53 AM   #8
Maverick9999

Tried brake cleaner on the discs to see if it helped to at least locate the problem. Doesn't seem to have. The chain tension seems fine, about an inch in travel. I will measure it properly this weekend. Will try to take the rear pads out and have a look. It's starting to annoy me! Especially the thought of each squeak slowly wearing/damaging something!

Will be getting a haynes manual for it soon
Old 25-02-10, 11:05 AM   #9
punyXpress
Mega Poster

Mouse in the airbox.
They will be waking up after hibernating over the winter & will be hungry. This makes them squeak.
Old 25-02-10, 11:17 AM   #10
sinbad

Have you tried just pushing it along? It might sound daft, but if you have a brake disc, front or rear, which is ever so slightly warped, and which makes the squeak sound when it catches the pad at just the right speed, you'll at least hear the "sssh" sound of it brushing the pad, if not the squeak.

Paddock stands make these things a doddle to find, get a front one too, I suggest.