SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-12-08, 12:39 PM   #1
Whitehouse

Question Pointy suspension swaps

hi all, im in the process of buyin bits for a gsxr front fork swap for my 08 sv650 sport, iv got the gsxr1000 k4 forks and iv also got a k6/7 gsxr750 rear shock that i was gonna put on at the same time but wasnt sure how it was going to affect the geometry of the bike.
I know the shock will drop the rear of the bike an the forks will lower the front but will it be even or will the rear be lower than the front? if so will this drastically affect the way the bike handles or would it advisable to put different size dog bones on?
Also because i have the gsxr1000 forks will the spring rates and damping be ok with the standard setup (i think th k4 has 0.85kg/mm springs which seems like what most people around 165lb like me are putting in their standard forks) i know itll be best to take it somewhere to get it setup for me but would the stock forks be ok for my weight or would they need revalving an new springs?

any info greatly appreciated!!!
Old 06-12-08, 12:42 PM   #2
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: Pointy suspension swaps

Why do you want to lower back?
Old 06-12-08, 12:45 PM   #3
Dangerous Dave

As long as front and rear are balanced out you won;t have many issues, although ground clearance would be reduced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Why do you want to lower back?
Vertically challenged???
Old 06-12-08, 12:54 PM   #4
Whitehouse

I dont really need to lower the back but the gsxr shock is slightly shorter an lowers the back about an inch from what iv heard
Old 06-12-08, 01:13 PM   #5
Dangerous Dave

Shorter suspension linkages will bring some of the height back up, not too sure if you will get it all back though but as the GSXR forks are a little shorter it will not hurt the handling.