SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-01-09, 12:43 PM   #1
xXBADGERXx

Default Helmet and Leather insurance

Just throwing this out to you guys/girls . I had my little "Off" on Monday and managed to put a couple of Grind marks on the knuckle protectors of my new £130 Rukka gloves (not even had them a month ) and was just wondering about getting insurance for my kit . I have a £500 Arai lid , £400 Rukka jacket and if I had seriously damaged those I would be right up the proverbial creek without the paddle .

Just had a quick trawl online and found most insurers saying they will pay out up to £850-£1000 on kit . Now I am wondering if this is per Item , and they say that there is £100 excess (not worth claiming for gloves and boots) . Now knowing how insurance companies go , they are probably gonna try to stiff you on the claim if you go for a Helmet and Kit replacement . I was wondering if this insurance is worth getting for the £40 a year (guesstimation) or is it just plain out and out aggro trying to resolve any kit replacement with them ................. sits back and awaits the thoughts of the Org .
Old 10-01-09, 12:44 PM   #2
missyburd

Default Re: Helmet and Leather insurance

YC is thinking about this too, this might help http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=123383
Old 10-01-09, 12:59 PM   #3
xXBADGERXx

Aaah thats handy to know as I am fully comp anyway , but would rather insure the kit seperately so that I don`t affect any bike insurance in a small and silly "Off" like mine was . May also have to take a good look into the House contents Insurance , as that seems like a good route to go down and cover more stuff , I only have bricks and Mortar insurance right now . Lots of food for thought there .
Old 10-01-09, 01:03 PM   #4
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Carol Nash covered my kit seperately this year. Think it were £50 for the year. It covers all my gear in an off. They do prefer phot evidence, plus they take into consideration the age of the kit to not pay out as much. If you have the reciepts for your gear then that is extremely handy too.
Think the excess was 50 quid as well, and you can claim as many times as needed (well I presume a realistic amount of times) without affecting anything
Fortunately my 200 quid Halvarssons jacket wasn't damaged when I fell off, my lid was, but it was due to be replaced anyway. I got all the forms to fill in pretty quick, but then decided it wasn't worth it in the end.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12

Last edited by dizzyblonde; 10-01-09 at 01:05 PM.
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-09, 01:05 PM   #5
xXBADGERXx

That`s what I am particularly after is the fact I can replace everything with no faffing about . Pay the excess , get new kit in Days , back on bike .
Old 10-01-09, 01:05 PM   #6
metalmonkey

I'm the same as Lozzo, my bike insured through Carol Nash, then I got the kit cover as well, will pay out up to £1000 if its my fault for a crash.

Otherwise a third error, I gte the money from them! I think mine was £40. But I deiced it would be a good idea, as my gear is worth nearly grand anyway the cost of replacing all that would be good. I figure its worth it.
Old 10-01-09, 01:07 PM   #7
xXBADGERXx

Definately worth it yes , it`s a case of boiling it down to the best route of doing it and who offers such a good package that you would be a fool to miss it
Old 10-01-09, 01:07 PM   #8
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Thats why I decided not to claim eventually, as my helmet wasn't too expensive. If I was to fall again though, I would claim, as I have reciepts for everything this time, and the rest of my kits worth a lot

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-09, 01:10 PM   #9
xXBADGERXx

Well yeah , your Halvarssons Jacket has got to be worth the best part of £300 minimum
Old 10-01-09, 01:19 PM   #10
missyburd

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXBADGERXx View Post
Well yeah , your Halvarssons Jacket has got to be worth the best part of £300 minimum
Hah, no Lou got hers at the same time as YC, bit of a sale going on as a friend was shutting up shop. Right place right time, lucky pair.