SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-05-21, 02:55 PM   #1
Trev B

Default LED indicators

Hi, has anyone fitted the sequential ( Audi style ) indicators to a SV650s L2 2013, tried all of them direct from battery and all 4 worked fine, coupled all 4 together and tried off battery, all 4 work fine....these have inbuilt resistors and fitted them and tried, the standard relay must have been working against those in the indicators...so no joy........I was assured by the seller they would work. Anyway sent for 7 pin LED relay, this worked but only 8 / 12 leds in each indicator lit up.....been to auto electrician and local bike dealer and they weren’t interested so if you’ve done it successfully could you please give advice. T.I.A
Old 06-05-21, 07:44 PM   #2
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: LED indicators

Are you saying they work sequentially by simply connecting them to a battery? If that's correct then maybe the flasher relay isn't holding the power on them for a long enough time. I've not done it so I'm guessing.
More odd thoughts - if they work with just 12V applied you wouldn't need a flashing relay - just one that latches. (I may be babbling).
Old 06-05-21, 07:55 PM   #3
Trev B

It’s a 7 pin relay that is also connected to the side stand circuit! No relay, no starty. Thanks anyway I will wait a bit longer for more replies, someone somewhere must of done it by now, or am I a maverick???
Old 06-05-21, 08:56 PM   #4
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

I think Seeker is right. You need to tune the relay to the flash/scroll rate of your indicators.

You can get relays with variable on/off times
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-21, 01:52 PM   #5
Trev B

The only adjustable relays are 2 pin, 1 vertical, 1 horizontal...The original and the LED one are 7 pin and all vertical so can’t see how the 2 pin would fit. Thanks anyway !!!
Old 07-05-21, 03:34 PM   #6
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev B View Post
The only adjustable relays are 2 pin, 1 vertical, 1 horizontal...The original and the LED one are 7 pin and all vertical so can’t see how the 2 pin would fit. Thanks anyway !!!
Couldn't you take the 2 wires out of the relay socket and connect them to your adjustable 2 pin relay?

This thread shows the pin out for the relay:

https://www.svrider.com/threads/how-...ignals.163261/
Old 07-05-21, 05:19 PM   #7
Trev B

I will try as a last resort, thanks !!!
Old 07-05-21, 07:31 PM   #8
SV650rules
Mega Poster

If the indicators are 'self scrolling' ( If you can permanently connect them to a 12volt battery and they keep scrolling of their own accord they have a built in timebase of their own ). then you can short out contact on flasher relay and just control power to flashers via the handlebar switch- as long as the handlebar switch is in left or right position the correct indicators should scroll fully without any 'help' ( actually hindrance ) from flasher relay.

If they are not self scrolling and need power to go on and off to initiate scrolling then you need to keep original Suzuki OEM 7 pin 'thermal' relay used by filament bulbs ( which flashes according to the load current ) and add some resistors in parallel with LED indicators to slow flash rate down ( remember how flash rate speeds up when you lose a filament bulb, that is because the load seen by flasher relay has fallen from 3.5 amps to about 1.75 amps ). The resistors fitted or supplied with the LED indicators never draw enough current and people always have to fit more into the circuit, in parallel with one of the LED flashers to draw same current as 2 x 21 watt bulbs ( about 3.5 amps ) resistance needs to be about 4 ohms ( 4 ohms will draw about 3 amps and the LED will draw some as well ) and the resistors get hot....

The 'electronic' 7 pin 'LED' relays have a flash rate set by internal electronics, this flash rate is independent of the load on the flasher relay, so they will not need any extra resistance in circuit and can be used with any 'dumb' LED flashers ( not self scrolling ). Flash rate should be between 60 to 120 flashes per minute to be legal.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 07-05-21 at 08:15 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote