SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-08-05, 07:18 PM   #1
rubberduckofdeath

Default Flywheels

Last edited by rubberduckofdeath; 11-01-12 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-08-05, 08:40 PM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

I don't know of a firm that makes them for the ZX6, (although I'm sure they're out there somewhere), but I doubt I'd fit a lighter flywheel to a roadbike, as the factories are pretty good at getting this right nowadays so there are rather less gains to be had over standard than there used to be. There are some theoretical advantages, less mass so better pickup, but for a bike that spends it's life on the road this often translates as rubbish tickover, (you need to set it quite high or it'll stall), and awkward low speed/traffic running. Racebikes often have them - they spend no time at low revs and therefore don't need much flywheel, - although this is often as a side effect of fitting a self exciting ignition rotor and not requiring a generator, rather than the specific desire to reduce crank/rotating mass.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-05, 10:01 PM   #3
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

PS.

Whilst not wishing to add to your busted bits anguish, in what way is the rotor damaged? I ask this as if the rotor has taken a whack I'd be wondering if the crank was still perfectly true, and if the main was damaged, I've attended to a number of bikes that have has a knock on the crank/rotor and a small number have damaged either the crank and/or run through the top layer of the shells.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

Old 03-08-05, 10:30 PM   #4
northwind
Mega Poster

I wonder how much a decent condition engine would be?
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-05, 04:42 PM   #5
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

If it really is just a small ding right on the edge then I reckon there's room for optimism, all the same I'd get the rotor off and rig up a dial gauge for preference or even just a pointer near the outside end of the crank, a few turns of the crank will tell you if anything is amiss.

Fingers crossed but I reckon you'll most likely be OK.

Old 07-08-05, 05:40 PM   #6
Cloggsy

Couldn't you just get it skimmed at an engineering firm
Old 07-08-05, 10:26 PM   #7
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

I'd be wary of using a damaged, however slightly, rotor, when your motor is spinning at 14,000 rpm the consequences of it giving up a magnet or worse are too horrible to consider, now that may well be a counsel of perfection but the forces contained within the rotor at high speed are truly enormous.

Old 09-08-05, 07:03 AM   #8
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberduckofdeath
Thanks Ian, your advice is always welcome and appreciated!
You're welcome. I'm pleased that now and again some of this junk in my head might be of some use to someone.

Old 11-08-05, 12:31 PM   #9
Saint Matt

I know you do on an RS125, not sure about the SV though im afraid
Old 11-08-05, 12:56 PM   #10
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Does anyone know
Yeah, I do.

Quote:
do you need a rotor puller to remove the flywheel?
Yes, and if it's the same as the 'G' model, (I think it is), then it's Kawasaki Part No: 57001-1405. 'Kin dear mind, probably most cost effective if you get a Kwak dealer to sort it out for you.

Quote:
I'm receiving conflicting advice...!
Well don't listen to them then, listen to me !