SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-07-06, 05:33 PM   #1
RingDing

Default Emulators

Right. I've decided I'm going to buy some Racetech emulators. The firmer springs and thicker oil have improved things a lot over stock but the high speed damping is far too hard.

Before I go straight to PDQ for the emulators are there any sv650.org recommended retails? Anyone who is particularly helpful when it comes to setup etc.

P.

3x Honda C110 - phut-phut-phut
KTM Duke 690 - brum-braaaaaaa!!!!!
BSA C25 - brum-braa-braa
RD350LC Ring-ding-phut-clatter-££££££
RingDing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-06, 07:16 PM   #2
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Default Re: Emulators

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingDing
Right. I've decided I'm going to buy some Racetech emulators. The firmer springs and thicker oil have improved things a lot over stock but the high speed damping is far too hard.

Before I go straight to PDQ for the emulators are there any sv650.org recommended retails? Anyone who is particularly helpful when it comes to setup etc.

P.
I bought mine from the US, and ended up paying about £160 for oil, springs and emulators. I don't know how they compare here.

As for setup, it is down to personal preference, though the instructions will give you recommended settings for road or race setups, so start there and adjust accordingly. robw#70 knows a lot about these, so maybe drop him a PM or he may be along shortly anyway.
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-06, 09:16 PM   #3
RingDing

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukemillar
I bought mine from the US, and ended up paying about £160 for oil, springs and emulators. I don't know how they compare here.
Didn't you get stung for inport tax?

P.

BSA C25 - brum-braa-braa
Old 04-07-06, 08:03 AM   #4
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingDing
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukemillar
Didn't you get stung for inport tax?

P.
No, I had it sent to my sister and she then packaged it all up with a note saying 'Happy Birthday - I hope this was what you wanted!'
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-06, 08:19 AM   #5
sdusk

Ringding, I started off with 15w oil and 2 turns of emulator preload - the result was harsh with not enough rebound damping. After talking to the Racetech folk I changed it to 20w oil and 1.5 turns of emulator preload and it is much better - firm, stable and not harsh at all.
Old 04-07-06, 08:26 AM   #6
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Emulators from PDQ are around the £110 mark I believe. Not sure if they could help with setup (fitting is easy), but there are a number of people (inc. me) with the emulators who can give you setup tips.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-06, 04:45 PM   #7
RingDing

Thanks for the tips guys. I guess I'll go ahead and buy them and see what the setup instructions are like.

I'll keep you posted!

BSA C25 - brum-braa-braa
Old 05-07-06, 10:29 AM   #8
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdusk
Ringding, I started off with 15w oil and 2 turns of emulator preload - the result was harsh with not enough rebound damping. After talking to the Racetech folk I changed it to 20w oil and 1.5 turns of emulator preload and it is much better - firm, stable and not harsh at all.
What weight spring are you using??? I have 85s, ended up taking all the preload off the emulator and using 7.5w oil to get some sort of movement in the forks!!!

With 20w oil it was way way to firm!
Old 05-07-06, 10:42 AM   #9
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S
Quote:
What weight spring are you using??? I have 85s, ended up taking all the preload off the emulator and using 7.5w oil to get some sort of movement in the forks!!!

When quoting spring weight, its probably usefull to also mention your kitted up weight otherwise people wont know what to go for. I am abt 70 kitted and .75 is recomended for me by racetech.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-06, 10:49 AM   #10
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S
Quote:

I run 20wt oil too, 15wt was far too soft.

You did remember to drill the holes in the damping rods... didn't you?