SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-09-09, 05:03 PM   #1
theshed

Default Bike Hire

would just like to hear peoples opinions
I have just set up a small bike hire thing in the Birmingham area, aimed at people who are between tests (module one and two) and need a little road experience.
I am hiring 125 cc bikes at the following rates

Friday PM till Sunday PM £75
Monday PM till Thursday PM £100
or 7 day hire for £150

all includes full comp insurance with a £300 excess

if you was in this position IE: between tests do you think this is something you would take up?

your opinions will be read with interest
Old 19-09-09, 05:08 PM   #2
blueto

Default Re: Bike Hire

this is only my opinion. I woulnt take it up. The reason being is that if i was inbetween tests and seriuos to move up the bike chain i would be riding a 125 already and would have for the past 6 months maybe.

hope it works out for you tho and good luck
Old 19-09-09, 05:39 PM   #3
7755matt

I'd say similar. I'd probably have a 125.

If I didn't have a bike and I was between tests it would probably be doing DAS

good luck though
7755matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-09, 05:46 PM   #4
Moojuicepez

i know people that have never ridden a bike at all before having training for a test so theres people out there that would take this up.

one of my mates rented a 125 to do his test on and for one or two lessons before hand and the little ****er passed first time.
Old 19-09-09, 05:50 PM   #5
Jordy

If I were local I would hire from you. I used to hire the 125 from my instructor after I had a few lessons because I just needed to get used to the control of a bike more than anything so that it would become second nature. I wanted to be 100% with the 125 before I started lessons on a bigger bike.

I was paying £10 an hour and I thought that was an okay price compared to lessons(I had 8 hours).
Old 19-09-09, 08:20 PM   #6
-Ralph-

I think there's a market for it. Even folk doing DAS who are not buying a 125 but going straight to a big bike, might have two weeks between their test and the end of their training and want to keep their hand in.

This is fairly specific requirement though and I think you are narrowing your market too much, with renting vehicles, you basically want it out on hire as much as possible, and I don't think you'll even get every weekend with only 125's available, but I agree it has to be available on your fleet for provisional license holders. I think you'd be better off having one 125, one 250, a 500 and a 600/650 available, than having four 125's.

If you do go down the bigger bike route, let me know, because I live in Birmingham and I would use you to rent bikes for friends visiting from abroad or coming down from Scotland by car.

Here's a good pair of websites to get an idea of prices to charge

http://www.perthmcs.com/bike_hire.php
http://www.cupar.co.uk/bike_hire.php

These guys definitely rent more 600/650's than anything else.
Old 19-09-09, 09:02 PM   #7
sunshine

i agree try some ER5s as well there very common middle bikes to be rented and easy to repair.

i think the 125's would be useful i had to use one from my instructors my intruder didnt turn round in the road. it costs a lot more to rent from the instructors and they can ride the bike to practice when the instructor isnt shouting about ride to aggressively etc.
Old 19-09-09, 09:09 PM   #8
theshed

thanks for the sites Ralph i think my prices basicly match those that you quoted think the first site was £80 for two days so im about right there at £75, and yes i can do larger bikes but at present only have my own curvey on the policy and insurance states riders must be over 25 and have held there licence for over two years oh also excess creeps up a little.
but im afraid at the moment its a little at a time and test the water.
thanks for your replies
Brian
Old 20-09-09, 12:51 AM   #9
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

It was £160/week to hire a GN125 4 years ago.

I hired one for a week between tests 1 and 2 (test one was at the ends of DAS) but when I had to take a 3rd test with a 2 week gap, instead of hiring @ a cost of £320 I just went and bought a CG2125 for £300, and it cost me £120 to insure - so £100 more in total but I still have the CG...

Basically with CG125's (or equvilent) available at £500, then your market is limited to people with less than 3 weeks until a test.

If doing bike hire, it would seem that the £300/week+ SS600/tourer market is where the money is.

Oh and you also have to include recovery in the hire too really.

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-09, 08:36 AM   #10
Nick_69

That seam a rele good deal and i do think there is a market out there for it aswell so gd luck

Now GSXR 600 K9
Nick_69 is offline   Reply With Quote