SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-08-12, 07:27 PM   #1
Goodfella

Default Clutch Cable Snapped!

Here's the story, had to have something repaired beyond my expertise and got the mechanic to look at the clutch cable while I was there as the lever was really stiff. Said it needed a new one as it was old, not greased/lubed etc.

Ok, picked the bike up the next day, clutch pull felt great. Four days later (today) clutch started feeling stiff, then I can feel/hear a binding sound as I'm pulling it like it's been literally chewed up on something, seconds later SNAP!

Luckily I was on the drive at home when it happened. Called up the mechanic and told him about it, they asked where it snapped and I said about 4 inches from the nipple (lever end), they said that's very unusual as if it does snap it's normally very close the the nipple. I noted that the place it snapped coincided exactly where that metal guide tube thing bends at what looks like a harsh angle, about 80 degrees. Is it supposed to be that sharp a bend?!

Anyway, what concerned me is that they said they'd order a proper suzuki cable this time, what the hell did they put in there before, a poundland one?

So, thoughts. Dodgy cable, something amiss with that metal guide tube?
Old 15-08-12, 07:35 PM   #2
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: Clutch Cable Snapped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodfella View Post

Luckilythe the nipple. I noted that the place it snapped coincided exactly where that metal guide tube thing bends at what looks like a harsh angle, about 80 degrees. Is it supposed to be that sharp a bend?!

Anyway, what concerned me is that they said they'd order a proper suzuki cable this time, what the hell did they put in there before, a poundland one?

So, thoughts. Dodgy cable, something amiss with that metal guide tube?
Yes, its supposed to be like that. Did he check the worm drive and clutch pushrod when he changed the cable? Don't think he could have, as I can't see any other reason for the cable to fail so quickly, even a poundland one, unless there was a manufacturing faultt?
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-12, 07:41 PM   #3
Goodfella

Oh I see, looks like they just did a really dodgy job, not going back there ever. I only went cause the Suzuki dealer I normally use close by moved 20 miles away.

I'm beginning to wonder if this dude even changed the cable. I opened the sprocket cover to make some adjustment (the clutch was biting at almost fully pulled in, why didn't he set it correctly?!) and noticed the bolt was old and only one nut there holding it in place.

I honestly don't know what he checked but I'll ask him on Friday when they give me the 'free' replacement and I'll do the job myself, after giving them an earful.

Thanks for the heads up on the worm drive/push rod.
Old 16-08-12, 10:33 AM   #4
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

They used a pattern cable - nothing wrong with that, you just got unlucky. I've had genuine new cables break - it happens.

If the clutch worked properly before the cable broke, then the clutch almost certainly doesn't require adjustment, and the shop did the the job right. It's a new part that failed, I can't think of an example of a new bit that hasn't been duff out of the packet, (bulbs are the most common), again, it happens. As long as they put it right there's no need to over-react.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-12, 01:03 PM   #5
Goodfella

Well, I don't know what they did as all the fittings (guide arm, rubber sheath, bolt end etc) were still exactly the same as before when I took the bike in, including one of the two securing nuts still missing (at engine end). Anyway, they ordered a proper cable and I collected it today, all shiny and new, as it should have been when they did the job.

Fitted it myself, much better now.

Last edited by Goodfella; 16-08-12 at 01:08 PM.