SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 08-09-14, 10:17 PM   #101
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Bereaved family releases shocking video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordward View Post

and I was beginning to think the forum had grown up a bit.
hahahaaaa, you what. while i'm still kicking it will never be grown up and i hope it never does become a serious place to be
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-14, 10:46 PM   #102
Specialone

I don't think the rider was being a knob tbh, just a bad call on the day, I do knobby stuff all the time, sometimes we all make bad calls but just get away with it.
Healthy debate of the incident is good, insults directed to the rider serve no purpose.
Old 09-09-14, 12:48 AM   #103
thulfi

I dislike passing junctions like this, regardless of how fast I'm going. In essence you don't really know for a fact if a driver has seen you or not until you have passed them safely, which means we all pass cars at a point of no return, ie we couldn't stop or swerve even if we wanted to should they pull out in front at the last second for whatever reason.

In addition, I do not see the merits or point in attempting to attribute blame to this accident. All accidents happen due to a chain of events. As RH said, we need to learn from this accident so we don't make the same mistake. I would also guess that the majority of riders on here at one time or another have probably passed a junction like this where had a car pulled out in front of them they probably could not have avoided it. The family didn't upload this video to generate a load of biker heroes on forums saying "Oh I would never have got myself into that situation etc". It's here to help people learn from it, and for that I fully commend the family. It can't be easy.
Old 09-09-14, 07:37 AM   #104
Fordward

Quote:
Originally Posted by thulfi View Post
which means we all pass cars at a point of no return, ie we couldn't stop or swerve even if we wanted to should they pull out in front at the last second for whatever reason
Like Dipper said earlier, I wouldn't be riding if I didn't believe 99.9% of these situations were avoidable.

There's two points of no return, one where you can't stop, another where you can't swerve. If your that close and a car starts to move, your close enough to crack open the throttle and get through the gap before they do. Unless they have a sporty car and they are trying to practice their drag starts, or it's another motorbike. And that's just the 0.1% of freak accidents that you can't avoid. We all know by how quickly we leave cars standing at traffic lights how long it takes cars to get moving from a standstill, due to their weight and inertia.

There's all kind of signals that a car is about to move, like the drivers hand coming up to the steering wheel, the front wheel starts to turn, or if you can see them from your angle, the brake lights going off.

That unavoidable 0.1% (or whatever the percentage may be), you can't worry about that because you could have an accident in a car, at work, doing dangerous sports, or get hit by a drunk driver while walking down the pavement.

You just have to do your very best to avoid the other 99.9%

It's not about being a hero and say we wouldn't get into that situation. It's about helping new riders like ManMango understand what they can do to mitigate the risk and keep themselves alive.
Old 09-09-14, 02:00 PM   #105
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thulfi View Post
I dislike passing junctions like this, regardless of how fast I'm going. In essence you don't really know for a fact if a driver has seen you or not until you have passed them safely, which means we all pass cars at a point of no return, ie we couldn't stop or swerve even if we wanted to should they pull out in front at the last second for whatever reason.

In addition, I do not see the merits or point in attempting to attribute blame to this accident. All accidents happen due to a chain of events. As RH said, we need to learn from this accident so we don't make the same mistake. I would also guess that the majority of riders on here at one time or another have probably passed a junction like this where had a car pulled out in front of them they probably could not have avoided it. The family didn't upload this video to generate a load of biker heroes on forums saying "Oh I would never have got myself into that situation etc". It's here to help people learn from it, and for that I fully commend the family. It can't be easy.
Totally agree
How are you anyway?Fully qualified and let loose on Joe public yet?
Old 09-09-14, 02:12 PM   #106
keith_d
Mega Poster

I've joined this debate a bit late for all the fireworks.

So far as I can see, there were faults on both sides of and there's no point getting into an argument about what ifs. Just get out there, have fun and don't assume that motorists will behave in a rational way.

Remember, there are two kinds of car driver out there. Those that are trying to kill you, and those that haven't seen you (yet).

Keith.
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-14, 02:52 PM   #107
Dipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_d View Post
Remember, there are two kinds of car driver out there. Those that are trying to kill you, and those that haven't seen you (yet).

Keith.
This.

One of the scariest moments I've had recently was on a pushbike.... I'm on a roundabout, I have very bright lights and Hi Vis. There are no cars behind or in front of me, a car pulls up and stops at the line to enter the roundabout, I've made eye contact and assumed he's seen me as there's no reason for him to slow or stop as there's no other traffic but after I pass in front of him he pulls forward and accelerates towards the rear of my bike, I stamp on the pedals and hear a screech from behind as he finally sees me missing me by the thickness of a fag paper. Lesson learnt that day even if they stop it's probably to read a text or have a quick J. Arthur....
Dipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-14, 03:29 PM   #108
NTECUK
Mega Poster

If this idiot can't see this policeman, what hope have as normal biker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIIvUM41gQA

Treat other users like sharks
Some of them fekers Bite

Last edited by Luckypants; 09-09-14 at 06:58 PM.
NTECUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-14, 03:34 PM   #109
embee
Mega Poster

There have been many discussions about this incident on many forums, with all sorts of views expressed. I'll not pass any comment on this case, however.......

..just consider a similar hypothetical "reversed" incident.

A moped rider is approaching a junction to turn right and judges a car in the distance to be far enough away to take the turn assuming it is doing a "reasonable" or typical speed. What he doesn't assess correctly is that it is doing 100mph not 50mph. As he turns across the junction the car reaches him, swerving to the left, and clips the moped front wheel. The moped rider escapes unhurt. The car continues into a tree and the driver is killed.

Should the moped rider be prosecuted for careless (etc) driving? What would your views be regarding the car driver's actions, not doing anything wrong, unlucky not to get away with it, or a fatality looking for somewhere to happen and a danger to all other road users?

Just a thought.
Old 09-09-14, 03:40 PM   #110
Spank86

Whoever dies in the incident the one that lives should be prosecuted.