SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-08-06, 08:28 PM   #1
Paws

Default Front brake (curvy model)

Im having what i think..are serious issue with my sv's front brake..
Basically its CRAP!

Bled it twice and it has goodridge braided hoses on, but theres hardly any feel to it!, its a case of it stops(the bike) when the lever is near enough fully back against the bar
Its not just me, my other half took it out and agrees.
HELP!!
Old 30-08-06, 08:36 PM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Sounds like to me you have air in the system still.

Try bleeding it again, also I found tapping the caliper lightly released some of the air that was in there. Also theres a tip that I was given about zip tieing the brake lever to the bars over night as the forces any small air bubbles up out through the system.

Failing that it could be your calipers are full of crud. Might be time for a strip down and a clean.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-06, 08:38 PM   #3
BILLY

Sounds like you've still got some air in the system try cable tying the leaver back to the grip over night and see if that improves it!!!!
Old 30-08-06, 08:41 PM   #4
Tzindo

Default Brakes on curvy

Hi I raised the same point some weeks ago and the concensus was - well the cheapest upgrade was the pads themselves. Then the master cylinder, then the suspension, then replace the whole fron end, in terms of improvement by cost. I have yet to order the pads, but intend to.

I realy noticed the "poor" brakes when I had an R6 for a day. Of course everything is relative. But I'm going to get some pads. Carbon Lorrane's I think was the choice. I have no idea where you can buy these, probably Demon Tweaks or similar.
Old 30-08-06, 09:53 PM   #5
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Did you bleed the master cylinder?

If still having problems after been bled correcting , check your seals.

Cheers
Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-06, 09:20 AM   #6
sixstring

I have exactly the same problem. With mine it's the pistons and seals in the caliper that's shot.
Worlds end motorbike parts do replacements but they're not particularly cheap (£80 for pistons and £40ish for seals).
It's really unnerving when you can pull the lever back to the bars before it starts to brake. I've been trying the cable tie trick for the past month or so and it makes little difference when the seals are getting old. Aparently, the seals grip the pistons and pull them back into the calipers when you release the lever.
Old 31-08-06, 09:28 AM   #7
Grinch

Mine was crap... fluid bleed, pads changed, seals replaced... still not there... Got a master Cylinder service kit and now its lovely again.
Old 31-08-06, 09:54 AM   #8
jambo
Mega Poster

If the lever's coming back to the bar it's not Pads. It's air or seals.

Pads will alter the bite and effectivness of the stopping but not the feel from the lever.

Jambo
Old 31-08-06, 06:47 PM   #9
Paws

Cheers guys, will try the cable tie trick tonight and see how she feels, thats doesnt work i'll get my other half to look at the seals etc.
Old 31-08-06, 07:21 PM   #10
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

When I fitted a set of braided hoses and bled the system I demounted the whole master cylinder from the bar and waggled it about so that any air trapped in the top of the master cylinder came to the top and up the pipe into the reservoir.Sure enough a few bubbles emerged,so you could still have air in there.