SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 16-02-08, 03:34 PM   #1
hovis

Default is this dodgy?

i think theres somthing strange about this, maybe im just being paranoid?

this is a reply to an e-mail i sent about a bike (i have not got the guys phone number)

hello sir,
in this moment i'm i italy in divorce with my wife.
My 2002 Honda CBR900 FIREBLADE is in excellent condition. I bought it new while I was working in Germany now I am back to UK and I want to sell it. The paint on the moto has not been altered and is original from front to back there is no collision damage present on the motorcycle. This bike transmission shifts like it just left the factory. The engine in this bike runs smooth as silk. It has all the documents and is registered in UK .
It is located in Bristol - England. If you are interested I can ship you the moto and I will arrange for a 5 days inspection period.
I will pay for the transport to your home address.

the ad
A SUPERSPORTS BIKE IN ALL ITS GLORY, SUPERB EXAMPLE, WARRANTY, TAX, MOT, FSH TAGS:CBR900, CBR900RR-2, CBR 900 RR-2
Features:
Engine size : 954cc
Mileage : 13,000
Year : 2002
price : ?1800 (which is 2 grand cheaper than the avrage)

Last edited by hovis; 16-02-08 at 03:41 PM.
Old 16-02-08, 03:39 PM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: is this dodgy?

thats either dodgy, or the persons first language is not english, which makes me more inclined to think its dodgy.

It reads like one of those scam nigerian adverts does. IMHO dont touch it with a barge pole unless you can go and look at the bike in the flesh at the registered address on the V5.

Personally I'd still not bother.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-08, 03:58 PM   #3
hovis

why would he pay to send it to me on a 5 day trial?
why is it nearly half the price of any others?

if he bought it in germany its probaly an import (not sure what differance this makes apart from in kms and the headlight)

i think im probaly being a bit nieve(?) but, if he sends it to me, what have i got to lose?

alternativly i could go and have a look

but at that price, somthing is not right?

Last edited by hovis; 16-02-08 at 04:04 PM.
Old 16-02-08, 04:01 PM   #4
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovis View Post

but at that price, somthing is not right?
If it seems to good to be true, then it probably aint.

Go look at it and meet the guy in person, and HPI it. Be very careful.
Old 16-02-08, 04:07 PM   #5
metalmonkey

Yes sounds well dodgy, don't reply its sounds like a scam to me.....as other said bother, no V5 ect I wouldn't go there as you can't compare the frame numbers ect with the V5.

I once played along with those, to see what happen I set up a fake email addy ect, well after asking to see the bike about 5 times never replied back as it knew it wasn't getting a penny from me....
Old 16-02-08, 04:14 PM   #6
Stig

Go with it and see what happens. Bet he will want payment first. Or want your bank details or something. Go with it and see what happens next.

I'd not want to give him my address though.
Old 16-02-08, 04:15 PM   #7
Rich
Mega Poster

He seems very eager to get rid of it, who the hell offers to pay to ship the bike to someones home address for a 5 day trial. . If i were you Hovis i wouldn't risk money on a bike like this. It's probably his ex wifes bike and he's trying to sell it to get back at her
Old 16-02-08, 04:21 PM   #8
Tiger 55

The essence of a con trick is that it relies on a person's greed or naievity or both! If you couldn't afford to get your driveway done because all the reputable firms quoted you too much and then some pikey offered to do it for, say, two grand less you wouldn't be surprised if they bodged it and scarpered would you?

This stinks even worse than that rubbish analogy but it might be fun to play along until you can figure out the scam...
Old 16-02-08, 04:21 PM   #9
on yer bike

I bet you any money he will want you bank number and sort code as security whilst you have the bike, where he will empty your account, and no bike will ever appear

on yer bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-08, 04:29 PM   #10
Xan173

Hey Hovis, I've got a unique offer for you. I've got these magic beans see, the grow into plants, well HM Plant Fireblades to be precise. Only thing is I can't let them go without a lot of administration. They're secret you see, genetically modified by scientists that used to work for the the third reich in fact. So, the bean, and I can only let one go at this price, is 20p. The admin fee is ?2500*. I'll give you a money back guarantee if it don't work.

What do you say mate? Want one?
*Administration costs are non-refundable.

Last edited by Xan173; 16-02-08 at 04:32 PM.