SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-09-11, 08:47 AM   #1
Skip
Mega Poster

Default Extreme USB Memory Stick!

Summer 2010 I lost my faithful old Sandisk 4Gb USB stick - was a bit gutted but it didn't have too much personal stuff on it so no real problem.

Fast forward to August Bank Holiday 2011 and I am standing in my parents front driveway and something catches my eye in the gravel - couldn't believe it - my old USB stick!

It still had the rubberised cover on it and even the cap - but as you can see lots of rusty looking deposits inside. It also has a nice dent in it - presumably from a car driving over it and pressing it hard into the gravel (which is larger stones not the pea-shingle type)

It has been through a pretty harsh winter too - lots of snow and ice etc - rained on goodness knows how many times and probably driven over more than once. But the question is - does it still work? I decided to only try it in our old laptop at home rather than our nice new one - due to the amount of rust etc on the pins - but as soon as I plugged it in the familiar orange LED lit up and the laptop started loading the drivers - then the folder view appeared - all the data was still there too

Anyone else have any stories like that? I have heard of them going through washing machines plenty of times - but nothing as "extreme" as what this has been through!
Old 07-09-11, 09:21 AM   #2
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Default Re: Extreme USB Memory Stick!

As long as there is no electricity going thorugh stuff like that to cause shorts then they will be fine, just dry them off and they will work.

My wife put my only car key through the wash twice now. Blast it with a hair dryer for a few minutes and it starts working again.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-11, 09:27 AM   #3
MisterTommyH

And everyone says we live in a throw away society....
MisterTommyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-11, 10:24 AM   #4
arenalife

4Gb on those bitty things, 20 years ago that would be called alien technology. Hard drives are amazing too, doubling the storage every year or so but never getting physically bigger.
Old 07-09-11, 10:35 AM   #5
LankyIanB

Too right - 25 years ago you could kill someone with a 10 Meg disk, they were HUGE! You'd now struggle to squash ants with an 8Gb micro SD card....
Old 07-09-11, 11:01 AM   #6
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LankyIanB View Post
Too right - 25 years ago you could kill someone with a 10 Meg disk, they were HUGE!
25 years ago you needed a security firm to protect your 10meg disc from robbers, they were horrifically expensive.
Old 07-09-11, 11:14 AM   #7
Reeder

Old 07-09-11, 12:04 PM   #8
lx_online

Amazing!

A bit of a contrast to my 8GB stick that just stopped working for no reason. It could learn a thing or two from yours!
Old 07-09-11, 05:44 PM   #9
Kenzie

Had a 4gb PNY stick go through the wash with no problems after. Just as long as they aren't powered on when the get wet.
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-11, 07:30 PM   #10
Stuuk1

My 8gb stick got stolen from my van 2 weeks ago, haven't got it back yet...