SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 23-03-12, 09:00 PM   #11
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

Default Re: When to start advanced training?

I did my training IAM within four months of passing my test I was trained before I picked up any bad ideas. Didn't sit my test with them for a good while as they made a mess of my application. When London phoned me they thought I was going to be sitting my test in a 6.5ltr Subaru

NOW is the time to look out your local IAM Group if they are like Glasgow North they will just be starting their yearly meetings.

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )

Last edited by carelesschucca; 23-03-12 at 09:04 PM.
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-12, 09:41 PM   #12
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icanopit View Post
Simples. NO time like the present!!!!
+10,000

I decided to do IAM or ROSPA a couple of years ago after I highsided the SV in Northern Ireland, had a 'I can't keep doing this and putting myself at risk when I have a child' crisis, and I very nearly gave up riding. A complete change in my attitude, particularly with respect to risk, and doing IAM or ROSPA were conditions of continuing to ride motorbikes that I set myself. Those that rode with me before and after, I'm sure will tell you that I've achieved the former, so now onto the next step with the latter.

The reason I haven't done it yet is due to being unsettled at home, and having moved house and area 3 times in the past 3 years. I couldn't choose a group and know that I'd be able to stick with it and see it through, without leaving the area.

Now I have bought a house and am going to settle in one place, I have chosen my local ROSPA group in Northampton who meet every Sunday morning.

The reasons I've chosen ROSPA is that you have the bronze, silver and gold levels, and if you want to you can do the 5 day £1300 course which gives you the ROSPA Advanced Diploma in Riding Instruction, but I think you'd only do that if you wanted to get into it professionally (silver or gold are pre-requisites). ROSPA claim that the Bronze certification is equivalent to a standard IAM test and the Gold certification is the highest civilian qualification available, and with all ROSPA levels you get re-tested every three years. So ROSPA seems to be something that sticks with you for the rest of your riding life.

I'm not a stranger to advanced riding, I've done Bikesafe a few times now, I pretty much know the motorcycle roadcraft book inside out, I've watched a fair few instructional DVD's, and I put it into practice as much as I can on every ride (or at least I think I do), now I need to formalise it.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 23-03-12 at 09:52 PM.
Old 23-03-12, 10:14 PM   #13
orose

Add another 10,000 +1s on to what Ralph and John have said - there is no time like the present.

My experience as an observer is that it seems to be an incident related trigger that pushes people towards us rather than a time based thing, and my IAM group has associates ranging from early 20s to over 50s. The real time to get further training is when you feel that your current training isn't sufficient to handle the hazards that riding is putting in your path.
Old 23-03-12, 10:17 PM   #14
punyXpress
Mega Poster

IAM Teesside: Telephone Mr Bill Stockdale on 01642 884306
I'm with the Scarborough lot.
Teesside did an entertaining Bikesafe morning at Teasdales Thirsk a couple of years ago, but the one up Bilsdale from Helmsley a couple of years before that was even better. The copper who chased us up there was examiner for my IAM test.
Old 23-03-12, 10:23 PM   #15
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

Ah Motorcycle roadcraft, first thing that always comes to mind from it is Information (Take Use & Give) Position Speed Gear Acceleration.

I might look into ROSPA myself. Its always good to learn that bit more and freshen up a little...

if your in the Glagow area try http://www.iamglasgow.org/

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-12, 10:28 PM   #16
Kilted Ginger

The right time is when you feel it is the right time, it will only work if you are ready for it too work.
Whether its after 3 months or 30 years riding doesn't matter.
It needs t be something you want to do and do for the right reasons, do it to realistically view and scrutinise your riding, do it to polish your good bits and improve your poor bits (we all have them) dont do it for a badge or status, it wont work.
Unfortunately there are some trainers / observers (iam, rospa and private) for whom its all about status, however in my experience most are only there to help and assist as best they can.
If its something you want to do then its the right time for you. Go along and talk to them all, get a feel for which one suits you best and once started if you dont feel you're getting what you expected dont be afraid to tell them.
Safe riding mate.
Old 23-03-12, 10:35 PM   #17
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by orose View Post
it seems to be an incident related trigger that pushes people towards

The real time to get further training is when you feel that your current training isn't sufficient to handle the hazards that riding is putting in your path.
A devils advocate question, and it is a question, not a statement or an argument.

If somebody doesn't want, or feel they need to do extra training they won't, but don't you find that a lot of riders have this mentality as a bit of a delusion? i.e. "the accident wasn't my fault", "I had no chance", "there was nothing else I could have done".

It is probably the time for these riders to get some further training, but they don't feel that their current training isn't sufficient, so how do you get them to come join a group? Is the incident related trigger, the only way under which you get people joining?
Old 23-03-12, 10:44 PM   #18
-Ralph-

Hmm, reading KG's post it occurs to me that my post may come across the wrong way to some people. Bronze, Silver, Gold, not for me about badges, but about a structured programme of continuous improvement. 3 yearly testing about maintenance. Formalise it, being about actually doing the courses and have somebody else observe and critique the advanced riding that I already "think!" I am doing. I have no doubt however that I couldn't ride how I ride today, and pass the tests tomorrow. I do think however that I've taken it as far as I can with self study, and now I need help from somebody else in order to progress and find what my problems are.
Old 23-03-12, 11:02 PM   #19
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
A devils advocate question, and it is a question, not a statement or an argument.

If somebody doesn't want, or feel they need to do extra training they won't, but don't you find that a lot of riders have this mentality as a bit of a delusion? i.e. "the accident wasn't my fault", "I had no chance", "there was nothing else I could have done".

It is probably the time for these riders to get some further training, but they don't feel that their current training isn't sufficient, so how do you get them to come join a group? Is the incident related trigger, the only way under which you get people joining?
I wish we knew the answer to that question. Then we would have an unlimited supply of new member to our club

If Bronze Silver / Gold appeals, just so you know, the IAM offer the F1RST register, whereby if you achieve a grade 1 in every category of your test, then it is recognised on your certificate.

Also if you go on to be an observer, then you will fall into a 3 yearly retest regime.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-12, 11:02 PM   #20
darylB

Just a heads up that the IAM are offering 12 months free RAC cover for new associates, and it doesn't matter how long you've been riding or how good you think you are, any advanced training is a life saver who ever you choose to do it with, I've had people whe have been riding for under a year and others with 40 years experience, all have passed their IAM test andall have learnt something and have become better more observanr riders. Compared with most other m/cycle related purchases it is the one thing that will help you stay safe while out on your bike and one of the best purchases you will ever make.

Daryl