SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-08-14, 09:18 AM   #1
JulesW

Default Scotland beckons

Got a week off work next week and thinking about a few days on the bike up in Scotland. If the weather looks half decent I'm hoping to spent 3 or 4 nights there. Something on the lines of....

Day 1. Getting there, perhaps Fort William area which is about 6 hours from where I live.

Day 2. Ride some great roads around the west coast.

Day 3. Day off from riding, go walking maybe.

Day 4. More riding of great roads.

Day 5. Head home

Hoping that some of the good folks here can point me in the right direction for superb roads, cheap (but nice) B&Bs and bunkhouses and other useful stuff.
Old 12-08-14, 09:25 AM   #2
sputnik

Default Re: Scotland beckons

Howsabout delaying until the end of the month and joining us on http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=206552

followed by...
http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=207293

which seems to tick just about all your requirements (apart from maybe the walking but you are of course free to do your own thing). Jolly japes guaranteed.
Old 12-08-14, 10:00 AM   #3
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

I wouldn't stop in Fort William its a bit of a hole. Make your stop The Macdonald Hotel Kinlochleven 10 miles south and on one of the best roads in Scotland.

Second day I'd say head up to Skye on the A87 (stop for fuel in Broadford) once you've done Skye cut back and go to Applecross for the evening.

on your way back down I'd say to make the effort to go back to Skye and come across the Glenelg ferry.

if you want some more details give me a shout.

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-14, 12:09 PM   #4
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Sorry to high-jack, chucca- is fortwilliam really a hole? I'm sure we'd stopped there on/after a previous GM and it had a nice centre with loads of water features ...and presumably good roads if we stopped there! Am I thinking of else where?
I'm off to fortwilliam next week...unless it's a hole!

Gutted to be missing the missing the GM, wish I'd checked the site - assumed I'd missed it in June
Old 13-08-14, 12:47 PM   #5
sputnik

I'm with Chucca on this - I may be wrong but I think the general consensus would be... hole. It is a convenient stop for various activities and places but (IMHO) it one of the drabbest places in christendom, even on a nice day... which it rarely seems to be in FW! This is all the more stark given how many fantastic places surround it within a few miles in almost any direction. By all means go to the 'Fort William area' but I'd bypass the town itself other than for petrol and pees!
Old 13-08-14, 12:55 PM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

the only nice thing about ft billy is the road out. for being one of the major tourist places in Scotland its a disgrace. just outside of ft billy you have errmmm Ben Nevis and Neptune's Staircase but that it.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-14, 01:41 PM   #7
sputnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
the only nice thing about ft billy is the road out. for being one of the major tourist places in Scotland its a disgrace. just outside of ft billy you have errmmm Ben Nevis and Neptune's Staircase but that it.
Indeed, I should have added that Ben Nevis is also one of the dullest mountains in Scotland too. Just looks like a big hill - I can only hope it is more interesting to climb than it looks! But not far away, Glencoe, any number of nice lochs (inc Kinlochleven), and the road up towards Skye/Applecross etc.
Old 13-08-14, 02:28 PM   #8
Bibio
Mega Poster

i have been visiting ft billy and the surrounding area for decades but never been up Ben Nevis.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-14, 02:44 PM   #9
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Cheers Chaps
Old 15-08-14, 06:29 PM   #10
stuR

You MUST visit the Clachaig inn, Glencoe. The best locationg for a pub ive ever been to. Too much choice of real ales, about 300 whiskeys and great food. Whats not to like?

As for general site seeing/roads, just about anywhere around there is superb to drive to. Camusdarach is the nicest beach I think ive ever been to, I can give you some more specific directions etc if you want.