SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-09-07, 10:05 AM   #21
G
Mega Poster

Default Re: Sights that scare you

I just got back from ibiza........bmw 1100rt......man wearing speedos, girl wearing bikini, overtook the bus i was on when a bus was coming from the opposite direction. Both had to swerve.

That was on of several crazy bike related scary things that I saw whilst in espana
Old 04-09-07, 12:09 PM   #22
Caddy2000

Sights that scare me:

My boss Naked!!!! (it was at a corporate golf day, I now look at him and think Austin Powers and Fat B'strd!)
Old 04-09-07, 08:03 PM   #23
Nostrils

Sights that scare me: ...bikes.....

Gixxer K7 rider with shorts and T shirt and an open face helmet who nearly lost it turning right at some lights and leaving my mates at the weekend and a Yamaha R6 whizzed past way over 30 at a crossroads, caught them up at the next junction and he was wearing full leathers etc and his lady passenger was wearing trainers, a belt for a shirt, skinny top.....but she was wearing an Arai.

Each to their own I guess
Old 04-09-07, 08:04 PM   #24
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel View Post
who think that people shouldn't be made to take more responsibility.
So what about the responsibility we ARE "forced" to take? We have to wear a helmet by law, the 33bhp thing, minimum tyre tread, MOT, what do we think of that? Should that all be left down to the invididual being responsible too?

This guy shows that some people are not capable of being responsible! Some things just shouldn't be left to choice. Not that I'm suggesting the law needs changed, because other than gloves which don't protect against life threatening injury anyway, I'm not sure what else you can make compulsory. A "jacket designed for the purpose" I suppose.

I'll nip 1 mile to the shops at lunchtime without putting on my boots and bike trousers, I'll even do a senisble weekend run in walking boots and jeans, I but won't ride on the public road without bike jacket and gloves, or "go for a blast" without full protective gear. And I have lost the skin from one side of my body once already. Your own safety is a choice.

I maintain persepctive by remembering that when I started riding mopeds at 16 and bikes at 17, "gear" consisted of a leather bikers jacket and jeans or leather trousers, or a leather racing suit, and leather boots above the ankle. Nobody had armour unless they'd spend serious money, and then everyone else thought they were a pr1ck. But you still took the precautions that were available at the time. You were "responsible".

The guy mentioned here does make me cringe. If he wants to ride in the buff, fine, but putting his daughter on a bike with no protection is just parental neglect. Riding a bike is much more likely to result in injury than getting out of bed or running down the pavement.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 04-09-07 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-09-07, 08:20 PM   #25
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper View Post
Naked bloke with his naked daughter on the back
Indeed, 'tackle out' ... is that the true definition of a tank slapper I wonder!?!!?
Old 04-09-07, 08:41 PM   #26
SV225

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidimurray View Post
look around to see a guy on a ZX-6R with just a helmet on - no other gear and the worst bit is he had his daughter on the back who can't have been older than 10 with just a helmet on as well.
Maybe the bloke lives just round the corner and was taking his 'daughter' for a first ever bike ride - all the way to the post office. He maybe didn't even go above 15mph.

And I find that when riding along and a bale appears about 8 foot in the air moving towards me as a tractor edges out of a gateway is a fairly scary sight.
Old 05-09-07, 02:05 AM   #27
monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney View Post
Yet he'll let his duaghter ride round on her pushbike with prbably even not a cycle helmet...!!!!

Get real people. You can brak limbs falling out of bed, graze yourself runiing along the pavement, etc etc. No maybe not responsible, but his choice.
More than likely (or maybe not) he'll let her ride round on the pavement on her pushbike, but I doubt she risks falling out of bed into the path of a vehicle!

It is his choice but if I was ever in the pub with that man I'd sneak his pint into the toilet and do a little tinkle in his beer.

(Please no-one tell me you are that man because if you're here I'm very, very sorry and I didn't mean it.)
Old 05-09-07, 02:21 AM   #28
monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
Indeed, 'tackle out' ... is that the true definition of a tank slapper I wonder!?!!?
Apart from your obvious penchant for all things involving helmets you have a sense of humour!

No pun intended.

Old 05-09-07, 02:24 AM   #29
monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV225 View Post
And I find that when riding along and a bale appears about 8 foot in the air moving towards me as a tractor edges out of a gateway is a fairly scary sight.
He he he.

You're not doing that "standing on the bike" stunt riding again are you?
Taxi!
Old 05-09-07, 08:18 AM   #30
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
So what about the responsibility we ARE "forced" to take?
That's the whole point, being responsible is all about making responsible decisions. If you force people to do things they're no longer being responsible, because without choice responsibility has no meaning.

It's no coincidence that a large increase in social irresponsibility are occuring when we're being swamped by massive increases in state power.