SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 17-02-08, 07:42 PM   #1
Tim in Belgium

Default Sticky tyres for trackdays and the 'Ring that can also do 2-3k miles?

Can anyone recommend a sticky set of tyres for the SV that'll do 2-3 k miles and not square off too much on the 480 mile journey to the Nurburgring?

I've been using Pirelli Diablo Stradas for everything over the last couple of years (touring round the alps, scratching, trackdays, trips to the Nurburgring etc..). Now that my suspension is mildly improved and I'm wearing through my knee sliders I feel that I can "justify" spending some money on stickier tyres. 'Ring trips apart I'm not planning on going touring on the bike this year so I'd welcome any suggestions. I'll be mainly hooning round the dales and Yorkshire moors, getting a few trackdays in and going to the Nurburgring a couple of times (and Spa once ). For the TDs I'm looking at purchasing some race scrubs, but I doubt a set of super corsas would get to the 'Ring and back.

Cheers,

Tim

Last edited by Tim in Belgium; 17-02-08 at 09:33 PM.
Old 17-02-08, 09:02 PM   #2
Balky001
Mega Poster

Default Re: Sticky tyres for trackdays and the 'Ring that can so 2-3k miles??

I used the Corsa III when I rode to Nurburgring as they have a harder centre. I spent 2 days solid on the track and I think the total trip mileage was around 1400 miles. Did another trackday after and still OK. This is on GSXR600 so I think this should be OK for an SV.
Old 17-02-08, 09:05 PM   #3
Tim in Belgium

But they don't do them in SV sizes
Old 17-02-08, 09:20 PM   #4
rigor

I may be off here, but isn't the Metzeler Sported M3 the same as the Corsa III?? (I had the Corsa III on my Gixer too ,lovely tyre) The Metzeler website list the SV sizes for that tyre .....
Old 17-02-08, 09:30 PM   #5
Tim in Belgium

I shall investigate further, thanks Rigor.
Old 21-02-08, 11:00 AM   #6
Tim in Belgium

Also thinking of last generation Dunlop 208RRs, Metzeler Rennsport (Road compound) and Michelin Pilot sports, as all can be had cheaply as they're not the latest thing, any comments/comparisons?
Old 21-02-08, 02:02 PM   #7
tranx

I was using Continental Road Attacks on my Ducati 750SS (very similar power to the SV650) for track days and road riding. They gripped very well round Pembrey and lasted 10K road miles with 2 track days thrown in as well. They also do Sport Attacks that are a bit softer and last for 6K ish miles.

Not race rubber but a very good compromise for what is mainly a road bike. They were good enough to do a 1min 9seconds round Pembrey. Not earth shattering but that was on a bike with only 60bhp and no ground clearence. Tyres were not the limiting factor at all that day.
Old 21-02-08, 07:58 PM   #8
Tim in Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranx View Post
I was using Continental Road Attacks on my Ducati 750SS (very similar power to the SV650) for track days and road riding. They gripped very well round Pembrey and lasted 10K road miles with 2 track days thrown in as well. They also do Sport Attacks that are a bit softer and last for 6K ish miles.

Not race rubber but a very good compromise for what is mainly a road bike. They were good enough to do a 1min 9seconds round Pembrey. Not earth shattering but that was on a bike with only 60bhp and no ground clearence. Tyres were not the limiting factor at all that day.
Tranx, I'm currently on Pirelli Diablo Stradas which I think are a similar class of tyre as the RAs in terms of grip/stickyness etc. Had these for a few years and just fancy something a bit stickier when out on track. The stradas are nice and progressive, but you can feel the rear especially starting to drift (probably hardly moving, but it feels like it's drifting ) when cranked over hard and on the power. As I do 2-4 trackdays a year and 2-3 'Ring trips I feel like it's time to treat myself
Old 21-02-08, 08:04 PM   #9
plowsie

Dunlop Qualifiers served me well on North Wales weekend Tim and are very grippy in dry, better than the Pilot Sports and BT020's. Didnt enjoy them in wet though.
Old 21-02-08, 08:07 PM   #10
Tim in Belgium

Were they RRs , GP or standard qualifiers? I get so confused by the Dunlop names.