SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-08-09, 04:45 PM   #1
Bunks

Default Someones knocked Betty over!

Right, a little adivce if you can help.

I went into town today on the bike and parked up behind a people carrier, first mistake I know! I thought I'll only be a minute it'll be fine. At the checkout and someone comes and says "is that your bike on the floor outside".

As you all would, I left the shopping ran out and there was my bike on the floor . The guy said I've got their number but there was no offending car to be seen. The witness gave me a hand to pick up the bike and we had a look . My prayers were answered, not too much damage.

It fell on the oposite side to the exhaust so no worries there. Small bend on stand, small bend to the foot rest, scratch on the bar end and brake lever, small scratch to the rear fairing and the R&G took the main force with a few scratches. See pictures below.

So, I have the registration of the offending vehicle and a witness who as been good enough to give me his full details . There are still some good people out there! So do you think it's worth going through the insurance company or just leave it and look out for the keeper of the vehicle in future because there's nearly no damage?

Never had to claim on insurnace but it wouldn't effect my no claims....would it?
Old 23-08-09, 04:49 PM   #2
M65

Default Re: Someones knocked Betty over!!

Go to the police and say someone has left the scene of an accident. You can ask them to track the registration to the owner of the vehicle. Also inform your insurance company and ask what your options are. It might not be worth claiming, especially if the other party cant be found, or denies involvement etc etc but its worth finding out
Old 23-08-09, 04:50 PM   #3
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunks View Post
Right, a little adivce if you can help.

I went into town today on the bike and parked up behind a people carrier, first mistake I know! I thought I'll only be a minute it'll be fine. At the checkout and someone comes and says "is that your bike on the floor outside".

As you all would, I left the shopping ran out and there was my bike on the floor . The guy said I've got their number but there was no offending car to be seen. The witness gave me a hand to pick up the bike and we had a look . My prayers were answered, not too much damage.

It fell on the oposite side to the exhaust so no worries there. Small bend on stand, small bend to the foot rest, scratch on the bar end and brake lever, small scratch to the rear fairing and the R&G took the main force with a few scratches. See pictures below.

So, I have the registration of the offending vehicle and a witness who as been good enough to give me his full details . There are still some good people out there! So do you think it's worth going through the insurance company or just leave it and look out for the keeper of the vehicle in future because there's nearly no damage?

Never had to claim on insurnace but it wouldn't effect my no claims....would it?
Report it to the police - thats leaving the scene that is - and will go pretty badly for the offender.

You can also go through your insurance to claim on the 3rd party's insurance.

You can get that fixed for no cost to yourself.

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-09, 04:51 PM   #4
Dangerous Dave

Notify the police asap, leaving the scene of an accident is an offence. Plus this will cover you if they report it also.

Assuming your bike was legally parked I would make a claim against the other person, after all your bike is now damaged and the resale value has gone down.
Old 23-08-09, 05:14 PM   #5
Bunks

Thanks guys,

I did go to the police but there was no one at the local station, spoke to a call taker and she said there was no one available. I'll call them to make an appointment.

So the insurance, if I speak with them and tell them whats happened will they automatically record it. Although I'm 30 I'm fairly new to bike and was hoping to get my first years no claims this year! I've heard of the companies settling claims as 50 50 responsibilty. Surely this would have to be 100% the other parties fault?

Thanks again

Nick
Old 23-08-09, 05:14 PM   #6
BanditPat

Happened to me yesterday as well came back to see my bike lying on its side because some **** head chavs had either tried to nick it or stick it in the bush and dropped it. Made me fairly angry, im going with vigilante justice as and when i find out who it was.
Old 23-08-09, 05:21 PM   #7
thedonal

If you've got a witness, then your onto a good thing already. So, even if the other party denies involvement, you've got some backup to push further. If they've reversed into your bike, which was parked, I would not even entertain anything less than a full claim against them.

With a little luck, their vehicle may be marked by the bike also- unless they've had it sorted already. Even then, it could possibly be proved that they had the damage repaired and went further to cover their tracks.

But just asking the insurance company shouldn't go as an automatic claim against you.

If you can afford the initial excess (if required) and you feel like you've got enough in your favour, I'd push all the way to get the bike fixed up as it was at the other insurer's expense...
Old 23-08-09, 05:49 PM   #8
Bunks

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonal View Post
If you've got a witness, then your onto a good thing already. So, even if the other party denies involvement, you've got some backup to push further. If they've reversed into your bike, which was parked, I would not even entertain anything less than a full claim against them.

With a little luck, their vehicle may be marked by the bike also- unless they've had it sorted already. Even then, it could possibly be proved that they had the damage repaired and went further to cover their tracks.

But just asking the insurance company shouldn't go as an automatic claim against you.

If you can afford the initial excess (if required) and you feel like you've got enough in your favour, I'd push all the way to get the bike fixed up as it was at the other insurer's expense...
Thanks,

To be honest it's not really the cost it's the fact some ******** just driven off and left me to literaly pick up the pieces! The thing is the damage is so minor that it wouldn't be woth me claiming against my insurnace but I'd love to get the other person to pay. If they'd waited and said "sorry mate I've reversed into your bike and knocked it over" I'd probably said give us £50 and I'll go get the bits as cheap as i can and put it right myself.

I'll give the insurance company a call tomorrow and see what they say. I'll call the police again tonight to see if the other party has in fact call them (Yeah right).

Nick
Old 23-08-09, 05:52 PM   #9
Speedy Claire

Same happened to me but with my car. As the others have said report it to the police straight away as they have left the scene. I claimed through their insurance and I didn`t lose my no claims bonus as it was not my fault. Good Luck
Old 23-08-09, 06:03 PM   #10
Nick_69

If the police find out who it is, and you have a witness you whould be able to claim as a 3rd party on their insurance and you will be ok, will be a long process thou.

Now GSXR 600 K9
Nick_69 is offline   Reply With Quote