SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 21-03-18, 09:50 AM   #21
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Windows 10

What I really hate is when adverts for things I have looked at appear when other people log on to their profiles (so my wife knows I have been looking at presents for her) - I know I can browse on windows browsers in 'incognito' mode but have to select every time. If the ads were discrete I would not mind, but some pop up and dance around the screen and other cover up parts of the stuff I am trying to look at until they are acknowledged - and you never know what you are triggering when you do that.

No I don't feel guilty about blocking ads, especially when a lot of them are badly behaved. And blocking unwanted stuff can also block the harmful stuff.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-18, 12:28 PM   #22
Talking Heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTECUK View Post
Yes but advertising revenue is part of the reason why people get paid for their work.
So do you feel it's fair.?
If I was unable to block adverts on websites I simply would not use websites infested with adverts.

So the way I see it, site owners should be glad that I use an Ad-Blocker to enable me to tolerate looking at their content.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-18, 01:24 PM   #23
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
What I really hate is when adverts for things I have looked at appear when other people log on to their profiles (so my wife knows I have been looking at presents for her) - I know I can browse on windows browsers in 'incognito' mode but have to select every time. If the ads were discrete I would not mind, but some pop up and dance around the screen and other cover up parts of the stuff I am trying to look at until they are acknowledged - and you never know what you are triggering when you do that.

No I don't feel guilty about blocking ads, especially when a lot of them are badly behaved. And blocking unwanted stuff can also block the harmful stuff.
simple solution is clear cookies and history but save passwords on exit. its in every browsers settings. if you use history instead of bookmarks then dont use it.

i've been on the net that long that my brain ignores adverts on websites.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-18, 01:38 PM   #24
ophic
Mega Poster

I don't use an ad blocker, but I do now manage to completely and utterly ignore them, rendering them ineffective. So what difference does it make what method you use?

All browsers come with pop-up blockers these days - which are also a method of advertising - so it can't be particularly frowned on.
Old 21-03-18, 01:42 PM   #25
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
simple solution is clear cookies and history but save passwords on exit
Simple solution is get her her own bloody computer...

Seriously though, it's surprising that this happens. Adverts are normally cookie based and cookies should not be common to different user profiles. You don't even need a different login - browsers like Chrome support multiple profiles under the same account - but need to be selected manually, obviously.
Old 22-03-18, 10:54 AM   #26
NTECUK
Mega Poster

I have a pop up blocker.
But I do switch off to the adds on Web pages.
Odly my now TV box has no adds better the breaks.
Old 22-03-18, 11:56 AM   #27
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTECUK View Post
I have a pop up blocker.
But I do switch off to the adds on Web pages.
Odly my now TV box has no adds better the breaks.
Watching stuff on catch-up is good because they take the adverts out, also with recorded stuff you can fast-forward through adverts at least. When watching live TV often mute the sound during ad breaks - because.....
1) They are too loud (they compress the sound towards the upper level of the volume)
2) They are just inane and annoying.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
Old 23-03-18, 10:32 AM   #28
Talking Heads

The Humax Foxsat PVR I use has a good feature, it can skip forward and back by preset times.
I have skip forward set to 60 seconds and skip back set to 15 seconds.
So when watching a recording and it comes to an advert break, hit skip forward four times then if required use skip back to resume watching at the end of the breaks.
You get to be aware of how much time is given over to adverts, for example an episode of Homeland typically has not less than 16 minutes of advertising.
I rarely watch live TV now and absolutely will not watch live TV with adverts.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-18, 12:07 PM   #29
SV650rules
Mega Poster

It struck us when living in Australia and we used to make VHS tapes of programs to send back to UK, we used to sit there and be ready to pause the recording for adverts. an hours program would shrink to 40 minutes. Our Virgin V6 box will fast forward for preset time - but only 30 sec for each button press at the moment, will have to see it it can be altered. It does another useful thing, it allows for people reaction time when fast forwarding playback and if you press play button as soon as you see the ads finish it starts playback about a second before the end of the ads, it can also record 6 programs and play one back all at the same time - awesome !

Last edited by SV650rules; 23-03-18 at 02:16 PM.