SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-09-18, 03:32 PM   #1441
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: What have you tinkered with today?

Obviously the vogue for short mudguards doesn't help, but I reckon modern bikes get muckier because of their wider tyres and larger contact patch, which squeezes more water and road crap off the road and onto the bike.

Even if modern bikes had massive CD175-style mudguards, I think they'd still get mucky because of the bigger tyre factor.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-18, 06:00 PM   #1442
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Short front mudguards and ridiculous huge gap between rear wheel and underside of rear guard / bottom of seat are a real case of form over function. Having the seat sloping up also makes it even harder to swing leg over even if front of seat is low (and angle on seat keeps forcing your bits into fuel tank) - madness.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-18, 06:24 PM   #1443
Chris_SVS

Yamaha Factory heated grips onto the Tracer Neat job, customisable heat levels via the menu

Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-18, 03:43 PM   #1444
zsv650s

Need to hardwire my Tom Tom in just cannot be bothered
zsv650s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-18, 04:06 PM   #1445
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Put the car back together temporarily, complete with knackered EGR valve, so I can get it of the drive and open my garage door. Going to need to get the bike out tomorrow.
garynortheast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-18, 09:22 AM   #1446
proze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
loose fitted a Chinapovic can with a custom link pipe i had made up. works perfect

just need to dress the flanges for the springs off and cut a slot or two then clamp up.

not bad for around £60
After jumping off the SV and damaging my blue flame can, I put one of these on. Holy hell it is loud! Have you had it measured, Bibio? I don't think I'm going to pass noise testing. :/
proze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-18, 08:54 AM   #1447
Chris_SVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsv650s View Post
Need to hardwire my Tom Tom in just cannot be bothered
Can be a hateful job to do unless there's easy access to an ignition live, after having a Bibio gizmo I don't like wiring direct to battery. I had to take most of my front end apart to get at the OEM ignition live, and buy the plug etc for my Zumo

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

Last edited by Chris_SVS; 22-09-18 at 08:59 AM.
Old 22-09-18, 10:32 AM   #1448
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Wiring in sat nav is straight forward. Find the live on your horn (no sniggering) which is usually attached to the loom via spade connectors. Add a piggyback spade connector to one of the TT cables and attach the other to earth and bingo - switched live feed. Route the cables out of the way and off you go. If like me the wires in the headlight nacelle are so short they're difficult to get at this is an easy and quick solution that can be taken off and moved to your next bike with no interference to the bikes wires. As our man Bibs has previously mentioned it's not the most elegant way to do it but it's pretty easy.
Old 22-09-18, 11:39 AM   #1449
Chris_SVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
Wiring in sat nav is straight forward. Find the live on your horn (no sniggering) which is usually attached to the loom via spade connectors. Add a piggyback spade connector to one of the TT cables and attach the other to earth and bingo - switched live feed. Route the cables out of the way and off you go. If like me the wires in the headlight nacelle are so short they're difficult to get at this is an easy and quick solution that can be taken off and moved to your next bike with no interference to the bikes wires. As our man Bibs has previously mentioned it's not the most elegant way to do it but it's pretty easy.
That's genius as above Yamaha very kindly put lives in as stock, so for most connections it's just a matter of buying the male

Last edited by Chris_SVS; 22-09-18 at 11:41 AM.
Old 22-09-18, 01:20 PM   #1450
Bibio
Mega Poster

dont know how Trev got it to work using a horn connector. a horn is not live till you press the horn button (snigger). the horn button is a switch and as such is live up to the switch and 0v after the switch, when you press the switch it turns the relevant circuit live.

what you can use is anything that is live when you switch the ignition on which is always the front or rear brake light switch feed, daytime running lights such as side lights or number plate light (if you have day running lights). just remember that no matter what you use ALWAYS use the feed circuit. and always use something that you can remove from the wiring loom. never ever tap into the main wiring loom.. EVER.

if you tap into something like a side light and you use the return side and the bulb blows you loose power to the device.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote