SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 14-08-18, 03:50 PM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default I guess they were correct...

Published 106 years ago.

ok, I give up. I can't stop this site from truncating the url which breaks the link. What it is supposed to show is a pic of a 106 year old newspaper stating how much carbon dioxide was being pumped into the atmosphere and how it may pose a problem in generations to come.

Let's try it as an image link instead...

Success!

Last edited by Seeker; 14-08-18 at 05:29 PM.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-18, 08:11 PM   #2
Talking Heads

Default Re: I guess they were correct...

Try Tinyurl.....?
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-18, 01:18 PM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

the problem is that there was no scientific data of the earths atmosphere back then so nothing to compare with today. its only very recently that man has turned to using "cleaner" solutions instead of fossil fuels for a heat source. man has been using fossil fuels since we discovered how to make fire. yes the consumption did go up rapidly during the industrial revolution but that in terms of time not even a blink of an eye.

climate change is just that and it has been going on for millennia, its just that man has only been recording it for a very small time indeed so we assume that we are causing the problem. people make huge amounts of money from telling us there is a problem (we already know this and there is nothing we can do about it) so the scare mongering is just that.

can they tell you why we had the little ice age... no. they can only assume.

mother nature will do what she does and there is nothing man can do about it.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-18, 03:01 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

you do know that one volcanic eruption can spew a good decades or more worth of "man's" carbon dioxide and other gases into the atmosphere never mind the solid particle pollutants.

yes the gulf stream is responsible for our weather. this is why we have had exceptionally good weather this year as instead of recent years where it was blowing straight off the east coast of America across the Atlantic its actually doing what it used to do and that is follow the Gulf Stream, add in the hotter activity in our sun and it has been a recipe for superb weather. not just for us Gulf Stream dwellers but on a global scale.

the prediction is that our sun is entering a hotter phase which in turn will make the planet warmer, just like it has in the past.

there are soooooo mannnnny variables that we cant even start to comprehend what will happen. they can only guess by using early and currant records.

when was the last time the scientific world was screaming about the ozone hole?

dont get me wrong man is making a difference but its not as bad as some would have you believe. FFS there are people out there that think the world is flat.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-18, 03:50 PM   #5
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
when was the last time the scientific world was screaming about the ozone hole?
We took action and it's recovered to a certain degree.

At no point in recorded history has any natural process pumped as many pollutants into the atmosphere as we're doing now. It's making an easily measurable change in the constituent gasses. It's fairly easy to attribute the current CO2 levels to human activity.

This isn't nature and if you think it is, you're bonkers. Scientists aren't scaremongers. They're about the most dour faced unexcitable boring bunch you could possibly hope to imagine. They probably don't care either way, they're just presenting facts and best guess predictions - that's their job. And they know way more about it than anyone on here.

Just because volcanoes pollute the atmosphere is not an excuse. If anything it's a reason to double our efforts to reduce our own emissions. It might take 1000 years to go back to what it was but do we really want to make it worse?

Or we could just pretend it's not happening, or that it's gonna happen regardless of what we do. The evidence points to both being wrong. Your consciences.
Old 16-08-18, 09:05 PM   #6
SV650rules
Mega Poster

The Elephant in the room is the rapidly expanding human population, too many people wanting too many resources, completely out of control and it seems no-one wants to talk about it, it is easier to push man-made climate change and tax carbon in developed countries than to reduce number of children in undeveloped ones. By 2050 the authorities are planning for a population of 80 million in UK and 13 million of those in London, which will make UK the most crowded country in Europe, we can only grow about 50 to 60% of our food requirements at the moment, and are building houses on farmland - so future does not look too good.

I remember when we lived in Australia they had some horrendous bushfires, and it was down to the tree hugging greenies, the state forestry commissions had always burnt off the fuel lying around in the forests with controlled burns during the winter, the greenies objected so they stopped doing it, a few years later they started having uncontrollable forest fires because of the fuel lying around in the forests. The greenies also objected to the dredging of our local lagoon in Narrabeen (Sydney northern beaches area) and other lagoons as they said it affected the creatures living in the lagoon, despite it being explained to them very slowly that if left to its own devices the 'lagoon' would silt up and become dry land within a few years and then the creatures would have no-where to swim. I bet the greenies in California made the same stupid mistakes and stopped the forests being properly managed to reduce risk of runaway fires, and look at the result. Problem is the majority of fires are started deliberately by humans.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-18, 08:38 AM   #7
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
The Elephant in the room is the rapidly expanding human population, too many people wanting too many resources, completely out of control and it seems no-one wants to talk about it...
Agreed. Apart from the Chinese. I think they've (now) got a pretty good handle on it. But they're not great at being environmentally friendly.
Anyone seen "Fortress" with Christopher Lambert? Population controls always make you a bad guy. Not a policy I'd want to try to get elected on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
On my last doomsayer note: where does our oxygen come from? It comes from phytoplankton which has evolved to live in seawater - at a certain pH level.
Apparently we'd have enough oxygen for 1000s of years even if it stopped being produced. There's an awful lot of it in the atmosphere. This means, of course, that by the time it runs out, it'll be far far too late to do anything about it. We'll have to rely of artificial means of converting CO2 to O2. This is definitely possible but, like anything, requires a lot of power. And maintenance. If only someone could invent self maintaining machines that do this and just kind of grow everywhere? ohhhh.....
Old 17-08-18, 11:15 AM   #8
SV650rules
Mega Poster

I guess 50 years ago Paul Erlich was correct as well....

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...b-paul-ehrlich

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote