SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-07-13, 06:53 AM   #1
Captain Nemo

Default Most protective boots?

3wk ago I smashed my foot on an enduro, despite motorcross boots I managed to snap the boot and fracture 7 bones in my foot and ankle

When I get back on the road bike I want to get some new boots I've always had sport touring type boots or even shorties in the summer
Now in a "shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted" way I want the best protection

Give me your opinions please on the most protective road bike boots
Not bothered what they look like or price , or Sven weather they cripple your feet when off the bike , just the best ones for protection

Hope you can help
Old 23-07-13, 06:59 AM   #2
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: Most protective boots ??

From what I've read Daytona boots are the best, but at a price, but its down to the construction of the boot as the way they construct the inner liner that saves your ankle.

But I've only got sport touring boots myself.

Otherwise something like TCX Competitione

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/11112...ff14=83&ff19=0

Wear what racers wear, they need good kit

GWS
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-13, 08:10 AM   #3
JamesMio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Most protective boots ??

Daytonas or Altbergs seem to be the names that came up most when I asked about this a while ago.

Jim, who works with us at 'Loco, has got a set of Hoggs that are 19 years old now, and still look good as new. He's an advanced riding, track-day instructor and TT marshall, so it's not as if they're not being used either.

Kinda tempted with a pair myself based on that kinda recommendation.

I've got a pair of Daytona's that I picked up half-price at the bike show about, oh heck 3 years ago and they're still in brilliant nick. Hellishly expensive if you're paying full whack for them mind, but I can't complain about the build quality at all.

Creatomatic

Last edited by JamesMio; 23-07-13 at 08:12 AM.
JamesMio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-13, 12:18 PM   #4
Tomor
Mega Poster

Default Most protective boots?

Daytona security evo. It's what a lot of racers use as well. My Dad dropped his fjr1300 and his ankle was trapped under the bike with the bike leaning on it. He was fine and boots deffo saved his ankle from being crushed.
Old 23-07-13, 05:25 PM   #5
Lozzo

Default Re: Most protective boots?

If you've got the money then I'd say the Daytona Security Evo is unbeatable. Lots of racers wear them, and if they are then they paid for them because Daytona don't give boots away to anyone. It's no secret that many MotoGP riders wear the same Daytona boots that you or I can buy, but with custom made outers in the style of their sponsor's boots. They pay for their own because they want better than their sponsors can provide.
Old 23-07-13, 05:38 PM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

ooohhh my lordy lord. just had a look at the daytona boots and the inners are very very interesting from my point of view.

the wife has a gamy leg and the NHS cant get the fitting right using the stupid splints they they use as they are muppets.

now at £750 for the inners i think it might just be worth a gamble as it would give me the opportunity to set the angle of the foot drop correctly for her.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-13, 08:35 PM   #7

my Daytona's are bullet proof, the only bit of my kit near enough untouched when I went road diving.. expensive at £250 and heavy but never leaked and very solid, would recommend them over and over.
Old 24-07-13, 10:16 AM   #8
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

The TCX are rated as protective kit and mine have been ace.
Old 24-07-13, 09:32 PM   #9
JamesMio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
ooohhh my lordy lord. just had a look at the daytona boots and the inners are very very interesting from my point of view.

the wife has a gamy leg and the NHS cant get the fitting right using the stupid splints they they use as they are muppets.

now at £750 for the inners i think it might just be worth a gamble as it would give me the opportunity to set the angle of the foot drop correctly for her.
If you want to have a proper look at my set first, just gimme a shout dude. Mine are the Daytona Evo Sports GTX if that's any help?

Creatomatic
JamesMio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-13, 10:55 PM   #10
Bibio
Mega Poster

i might take you up on that offer.

if you have the inners how stiff are they in terms of flexing where they are reinforced using fibre?

can you bend them with ease along their length?

can they be twisted easy?

i'm going to pop an email off to daytona and see if there are any stockists near me.

they really do look like the ideal solution to Lorna's problem if they are stiff enough.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote