SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-11-08, 11:31 AM   #1
PsychoCannon

Default Civilians with Speed Guns

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4733033.stm

As if they idea of CPO's wasn't bad enough (I thought they at least had to pass basic fitness but given the group of 20 stone lard asses "patroling" (read wheezing against the nearest pillar) Kings Cross this morning they seem to have watered that down some what), they now want "Volunteers" to go out with Speed Guns and Mobile cameras.
These people will also be given access to the Police computers to "identify drivers".
They have to pay for the equipment themselves and likely will not be subsidised.

Read this in a few places and most of them say that when this gets extended "3 warnings" from these Civilian Volunteers with speed guns and mobile gatsos will result in a fine and points the same as if you had been done by a normal camera.

Can't imagine you'd have any real way of appealing it either as it's already hard enough, but now they are only "warnings" there is probably even less chance of getting them to retract it before they fine you.

"They can be targeted for prosecution if they get three letters for speeding through volunteer group traps"

Personally I think this is freaking retarded! and I can just imagine the sort of jobsworths that will want to pay to go for this hiding round blind bends and causing all sorts of mayhem and not caring that these aren't exactly very accurate! especially against bikes.

"The groups will be expected to have at least six adult members, and organise their own finance. They are likely to be subsidised by local councils."
"Police officers – or a community police officer – are involved in picking out suitable roadside sites. "

So civilian volunteers can advise civilian volunetters where a good place to set up would be and the fact they suggest at least "6 adults" suggests they are happy for minors to join in too??

This picture sums it up nicely

Yeah way to go, it's REALLY important to monitor that downhill 10 meters between a 30 and a 60 so people are more worried about their speedo and picking up that accidently 3mph down that incline that focusing on that bend coming up!

They've already had complaints in the trial areas that several of the communities they tested it in.

"One of the first forces to try civilian volunteers was Cambridgeshire. But it was forced to scrap the idea within weeks after opposition from a group of villagers.
Company director Salli Roskilly decided to launch a petition against the initiative after it divided residents in her village of Fowlmere, near Royston.
She said: 'The final straw was when I walked by one morning and saw that they had schoolchildren on the cameras. I am the last to condone speeding but there is a question of civil liberties. "

The only upside I can see to this is that it will be a lot more satisfying putting a petrol soaked tyre round some of these than the gatsos

Last edited by PsychoCannon; 25-11-08 at 11:34 AM.
Old 25-11-08, 11:35 AM   #2
Ch00

Default Re: Civilians with Speed Guns

I agree that it should be left to the Police. The spot used in that picture is also very poor. To be effective he should be on the other side to slow people coming into the village not out of it.

Ch00
Old 25-11-08, 11:37 AM   #3
Ceri JC

Great way of creating division and feuds in a community, well done. Most people don't seek revenge against a faceless organisation like the police/scamera operators. Will this still be the case if the person catching you is your next door neighbour? I doubt it.
Old 25-11-08, 11:38 AM   #4
RichT

Putting the revenue raising in the hands of Jonny Bravo.. OMG...

"Yes your honour, his son ran away with my missus, but that's nothing to do with the 34mph in a 30 limit is it?"

Last edited by RichT; 25-11-08 at 12:03 PM.
Old 25-11-08, 11:43 AM   #5
gettin2dizzy

Hahaha. There's some real ********s in the world

I'll believe it when I see it though.
Old 25-11-08, 11:56 AM   #6
jimmy__riddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch00 View Post
I agree that it should be left to the Police. The spot used in that picture is also very poor. To be effective he should be on the other side to slow people coming into the village not out of it.

Ch00
depends which direction you are travelling!

I predict this would make some people very unpopular. I think they would soon stop after people have smashed their hand held devices a few times as i guess they aren't cheap
Old 25-11-08, 11:56 AM   #7
KnightRider
Mega Poster

We will be fine.

1 - I doubt any of the volenteers will be quick enough on the trigger to catch us!!!
2 - The old grumps wont have good enough eye sight to either point the camera at us or read our reduced size number plates!!!

Jokes!!!!!

CBR600RR7

Link to map of TV members...if your not on the map then PM me. My facebook profile
KnightRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-08, 12:09 PM   #8
Drew Carey
Not Fizzwheel
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRider View Post
We will be fine.

1 - I doubt any of the volenteers will be quick enough on the trigger to catch us!!!
2 - The old grumps wont have good enough eye sight to either point the camera at us or read our reduced size number plates!!!

Jokes!!!!!
I think you have a good point here......if you had three warnings and got fined you could contest on the grounds of:

"Your honour, please can you provide proof that this 75 year old jobsworthy preist is trained to operate said speed entrapement device?"

"Yes you criminal, he has a certificate"

"Well can I see a certificate for his eyes as he appears to be blind as a ducking bat!!!!!"

Hovis RIP Buddy - 13/08/1975 - 03/10/2009
"Feckinnnn Unluckkeeeeeeee"
Drew Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-08, 12:13 PM   #9
rigor

Oh my word...

LOOK AT THE DATE OF THE ARTICLE!!

They've been doing it for a good few years now down near where I live.

My favourite game on the bike is to see how fast they can sping round when I go passed at 30mph in first slipping the clutch
Old 25-11-08, 12:16 PM   #10
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

civillians with machine guns... I should be allowed to decide who's a potential mugger and then mow them down with a gat. pow pow cos i is the law. This country is f***ed

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote