SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 24-08-06, 01:16 PM   #1
CoolGirl

Default popular music and old age

I must be getting old.....

I've been at home all week (supposedly straightening the house out), and instead of putting a CD on for some background noise, I've had MTV etc on for a change. This is a rarity in our house - I don't think we've had it on once in the 10 years I've been here.

I've now got 3 songs stuck in my head (Justin Timberlake, Beyonce and Scissor Sisters) becasue they seem to be on in a continuous loop. Pink's also in that group, but the tune is so bland it hasn't stuck.

I've also discovered that Sandi Thom is a bit thick (punks NEVER wore flowers in their hair - they were disctinctly anti-hippy). But then I'd never heard of her before yesterday.

On r&b tracks, the boys stand still and mumble whilst lots of girls with no clothes on dance around them - seems to be a broadcasting regulation. On the more rocky side, its usually a bloke sitting on the edge of a bathtub with his head in his hands for 3 minutes. All the dance tracks just sound the same with some swirly graphics going on and the odd bit of thievery of proper music. And if I hear another angsty yodelling female.....

I'm back off to listen to the fridge squeaking - far more entertaining than that lot! (relatively)
Old 24-08-06, 01:22 PM   #2
Balky001
Mega Poster

Yep, you sound like a right old whiner - welcome to the club (wasn't thast 50 cent?)
Old 24-08-06, 01:23 PM   #3
DanDare

Default Re: popular music and old age

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolGirl
I've also discovered that Sandi Thom is a bit thick (punks NEVER wore flowers in their hair - they were disctinctly anti-hippy). But then I'd never heard of her before yesterday.
I quite agree..........Wake up and smell the napalm love!

Crap song!
Old 24-08-06, 01:26 PM   #4
CoolGirl

That Robbie Williams song is hillarious tho - royally takes the p*ss out of the rest of them. (and samples a classic Sly & Robbie choon).
Old 24-08-06, 01:37 PM   #5
Balky001
Mega Poster

Default Re: popular music and old age

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDare
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolGirl
I quite agree..........Wake up and smell the napalm love!

Crap song!
Poor Sandi, she's confused. She wants the best of both worlds - punk rock anarchy and flower wearing hippy-dom. Bless
Old 24-08-06, 01:46 PM   #6
Viney
Mega Poster

You miss heard the Sandi Thom record. Its, I wish i was a 'Prawn craker with flowers in my hair'

I cant be old, i like all this 'modern' music init. Some of its toilet, but then Not everything is classy as Chic is it now.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-06, 01:52 PM   #7
timwilky
Mega Poster

As someone who used to embarrass my kids when I dropped them off at school with Classic FM on the radio, I have to admit I like most forms of music.

I too have questioned the Sandi Thom (Is that her name) lyrics. but what the hell she just goes about showing how thick she is. It ain't my problem.

Good music of any gendre is worth listening to, crap will always be crap.

BTW we currently tend to have Magic or Classic on on our goggle box
Old 24-08-06, 03:02 PM   #8
tricky

Do you think Sandi Thom will still want to be a Punk after she's been gobbed on at a gig a few times ?

I tend to prefer Radio 3 to Classic FM as there is less chatter/adverts etc.
Old 24-08-06, 03:06 PM   #9
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

I went to see the Rolling Stones last Sunday and loved every minute of it.That must make me an old fart.
Old 24-08-06, 03:14 PM   #10
timwilky
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles
I went to see the Rolling Stones last Sunday and loved every minute of it.That must make me an old f*rt.
Going on sunday to Sheffield, I last saw them at Main Road, Manchester about 15 years ago and loved that concert. Looking forward to this one. Glad I won't be the one driving