SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 15-09-19, 03:20 PM   #7621
Chris_SVS

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Nasty, noticed this years wasp are very small by us, not much bigger than a hoverfly.. wonder why ? How do those little black flies keep getting into your helmet, are they special ninja flies ?
Somehow killed a few flies with the inside of my visor
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-19, 05:05 PM   #7622
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
I've had a few get into my Lid but luckily it's a,"Flip" lid so they get blown out when I lift it
If they are crawling up inside visor I flip my visor up fully and 99% of the time they blow out, but sometimes their little ninja feet stick to visor and when it comes back down they are still there, then open visor halfway to try to dislodge then with a finger - all very distracting while the bike is moving, but if you stop to do it they seem to disappear and come back when you move off again.

Think they are called thunder flies, a type of thrip...

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 15-09-19 at 07:48 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-19, 09:42 PM   #7623
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
how can they say its Scottish beer when its brewed in England........
Or moretti is Italian and its brewed in Edinburgh

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-19, 11:04 AM   #7624
admin
John T
Mega Poster

I suppose they can argue that the beer is brewed to the original recipe. Mind you simple things like the taste of the local water supply will alter it.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Old 19-09-19, 11:09 AM   #7625
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
If they are crawling up inside visor I flip my visor up fully and 99% of the time they blow out, but sometimes their little ninja feet stick to visor and when it comes back down they are still there, then open visor halfway to try to dislodge then with a finger - all very distracting while the bike is moving, but if you stop to do it they seem to disappear and come back when you move off again.

Think they are called thunder flies, a type of thrip...
I'll take them all day long compared with the Pheasant that FUBAR'd my Last lid and nearly took my head off
Old 19-09-19, 01:12 PM   #7626
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
I suppose they can argue that the beer is brewed to the original recipe. Mind you simple things like the taste of the local water supply will alter it.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Maybe, but I'm sure that they use additives in our beer, that they either wouldn't or can't use in their own countries.

I can't drink UK larger now, as I always get a headache the next day, even after one or two pints. I don't suffer with foreign larger.

I don't suffer if I drink bitter now
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-19, 11:28 AM   #7627
Seeker
Mega Poster

My Kawasaki H1F experience continues to be a nightmare. The bike was returned 10 days ago to have a new kickstart spring fitted which requires the engine to be removed and cases split. They ran it for a few days to confirm it was running ok but on the scheduled return delivery date (Wed 18th) the centre exhaust split on a seam (and they are like rocking horse excreta). There's a beaten up one on ebay now complete with acid stains and dents for £86, another in the US for considerably more but in no better condition.

Last week, David Higgs (owner of Higgspeed expansion chambers) was involved in a bad car crash - I was going to order a set of spannies, but I'm holding off for now as buyer's remorse is setting in. Teething troubles? I hope so. I bought the bike in Feb, it was supposed to be finished by end of May (held up by exhaust problems), finally got it in late August but have only ridden it for 35 miles. My 13th bike is definitely proving unlucky.
Maybe I need to look for bike #14?
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-19, 12:57 PM   #7628
Grant66

Another moan about chuffing insurance companies.

CAROL NASH- so there is no doubt about which particular bunch of scammers I'm venting about.

Despite opting out of their "auto renew", they sent me a letter telling me they would renew my policy for the price of a gold toilet unless I phoned them on their cost a small fortune 0333 number.
Found an 0800 number & used that, apparently despite what the letter said they weren't going to renew the policy & the letter was a mistake...

Anyway discussed the premium & got it down to a reasonable amount & as I was due to move house a few weeks later discussed what the premium would be at the new address & they agreed to waive the change of address charge if I changed the address within a month of the policy starting.

So rang to change the address & was told the premium would increase by over £700, which is nearly 4 times what I'm currently paying (no other circumstance changed, same job, same cover, still stored in a garage). The only way would be to cancel the policy (for a fee) and take out a new one for 12 months. Chuffing scammers.

Had a look on comparison sites & the policy from Carol Nash for the new address is less than one from the old one. So I'm guessing this is the only way they can scam some more money from the "customer" or should that be sucker.

I should have told them to "go forth and multiply" when I received confirmation of their sharp practice "auto renew" letter. Lesson learnt.
Grant66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-19, 03:49 PM   #7629
Heorot

Thanks for the head up Grant. I changed to Carol Nash for the first time this year. I always argue for a lower premium when I get the reminder letter, but this year Hastings refused to budge.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-19, 05:36 PM   #7630
Heorot

Yesterday, there was an accident outside our village and the police closed the road, the A140 main road between Ipswich and Norwich heading to Norwich. The trouble is, the only alternate roads are single carriageway unclassified roads that wind between high hedges. Ferkin idiots driving way too fast and one only just managed to stop before ploughing into me on the bike. It's not an A road for fux sake, drive slowly.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote