SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 15-07-19, 03:53 PM   #11
Heorot

Default Re: Cricket

Last time I heard, LPH actually worked at Lords for the MCC.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-19, 04:06 PM   #12
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heorot View Post
Last time I heard, LPH actually worked at Lords for the MCC.

So LPH is a person?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 15-07-19, 06:38 PM   #13
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
So LPH is a person?

Yes, she is.
Old 15-07-19, 08:50 PM   #14
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Weird thing about the draw in main innings is that England got 4 fluke runs when the batsmen were running between stumps and NZ fielder threw the ball which hit one of their bats and bounced off an managed to reach boundary for 4 runs - I thought you could only score off a ball that was bowled by a bowler - every day is a school day !

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-19, 09:23 PM   #15
chris8886
Mega Poster

I was working there too yesterday and she was definitely working also. What an incredible end to the game it was. I managed to see the super over from the top of the Compton stand, it was incredible to see absolutely everyone go crazy at the result!
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-19, 09:38 PM   #16
Othen

Default Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Weird thing about the draw in main innings is that England got 4 fluke runs when the batsmen were running between stumps and NZ fielder threw the ball which hit one of their bats and bounced off an managed to reach boundary for 4 runs - I thought you could only score off a ball that was bowled by a bowler - every day is a school day !

... surely you must have seen over-throws previously? They happen in many, if not most matches (in fact I think I remember there was one run during NZ’s innings), usually just the odd one or two runs where the fielding side don’t bother to back up a throw to the bowler’s end. The unusual thing was that the overthrow happened to bounce off Ben Stokes’ bat as he was stretching for the crease - at that point the batsman just counts as part of the field (as long as he doesn’t deliberately get in the way of the fielding side’s business of course).

It is just a law of the game, I’ve never seen the ball hit a bat from a long throw like that, but it is not uncommon for it to hit the batsman - after all he is heading for the same place the fielding side is throwing to. I suppose that makes it a rare occurrence, but not weird.

Last edited by Othen; 16-07-19 at 05:27 AM.
Old 15-07-19, 10:12 PM   #17
Heorot

Apparantly, according to the laws of the game, that should have been 5 runs not 6 meaning that NZ should have won the match. The rule depends on whether the batsmen have crossed at the moment in time that the fielder threw the ball. If they haven't crossed when the ball is thrown, as in this instance, then only 1 run is added to the 4 overthrows, not 2 runs as was awarded by the on field umpire.

Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Old 16-07-19, 04:53 AM   #18
Othen

Default Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heorot View Post
Apparantly, according to the laws of the game, that should have been 5 runs not 6 meaning that NZ should have won the match. The rule depends on whether the batsmen have crossed at the moment in time that the fielder threw the ball. If they haven't crossed when the ball is thrown, as in this instance, then only 1 run is added to the 4 overthrows, not 2 runs as was awarded by the on field umpire.

Are you an expert on the laws of cricket?

... I’m pulling your leg, of course you are not. As with all laws, people interpret them, and the two very experienced umpires in the middle (plus probably the third umpire and maybe even the match referee) had a long, hard think about it and disagreed with your opinion (which you read in the paper but are presenting as a fact).

I do find this bizarre. England play cricket extremely well, fight their way through to the final of the World Cup against the world’s best, then win it in an absolutely classic match against very worthy opponents in the Kiwis. Most of the county is delighted and support them, but then there are people (unfortunately like you and a couple of others above) that try to detract from a marvellous achievement.

Well, I remain a proud Englishman and support the nation.

Last edited by Othen; 16-07-19 at 05:07 AM.
Old 16-07-19, 08:38 AM   #19
Heorot

I'm not trying to detract from the result. however,

OVERTHROW OR WILFUL ACT OF FIELDER - LAW 19.8

If the boundary results from an overthrow or from the wilful act of a fielder, the runs scored shall be any runs for penalties awarded to either side, and the allowance for the boundary, and the runs completed by the batsmen, together with the run in progress IF THEY HAD ALREADY CROSSED AT THE INSTANT OF THE THROW OR ACT.'

My emphasis.

The batsmen in the case had not crossed when the ball was thrown, This is a pretty obscure law though, so the umpires can be forgiven.

Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Old 16-07-19, 08:43 AM   #20
Talking Heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Well, I remain a proud Englishman and support the nation.
Two nations, England and Wales.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote