SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-11-17, 04:22 PM   #1
chezza

Default Headlight issues

Hi Gang,

Got a strange one on my SL0. Now that its dark at night I have noticed that randomly my dipped headlights turn off, then come back on again. No apparent pattern to rev's, speed etc. Full Beam and side lights done appear to be affected and works fully, all dash, indicators etc remain unaffected.

I have checked connectors and they seem ok to both bulbs. If it was affecting just one bulb then I would suspect a failing bulb, but for both to turn off at the same time is weird.

The most recent change to the bike was the fork seals were done, so I may have a quick chat with the garage to take a once over, do they take the front fairing off to do that ? this was done 6-8 weeks ago so only noticed once its dark for the commute home...

Any idea's or similar issues ?

Thanks
Gav.
chezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-17, 05:18 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Headlight issues

its easier to take the cowl off to get access to the yoke bottom bolts. i suspect that the garage just disconnected the main connector and put it back without checking the condition of the terminals. the connector is a known fault on pointys and is best sprayed with ACF-50 once a year. its a simple 30min job unless one of the terminals is foobar. also check the dip light fuse.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-17, 07:56 PM   #3
chezza

Cheers Bibio,

I only checked the connectors at the bulbs. Didn’t realise there was a main connector, and that’s by the yoke you say. Weekend job me thinks. Trouble is might have to use high beam for the night runs. Sorry in advance fellow motorists !!

Thanks
Gav

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-11-17, 08:30 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

you have to take the top cowl off to get at the connector. its a simple job. it sounds more difficult that it is.

put some masking tape on the lower edge of the cowl to protect the paint or you WILL scratch in putting in back on the frame brackets.

remove black screws at top of cowl above the mirrors.
remove black screws of inspection triangles of the clock surround plastics.
remove alan head bolts that are below the inspection triangles that connect the clock surround to the cowl.
remove the alan head bolts that connect the lower part of the cowl to the frame brackets.
remove the mirrors.
stand in front of the bike lift the cowl at the mirror brackets and slide forward so the cowl separates from the clocks surround plastics (it sometimes needs a good persuasion).
while sliding the cowl off look from the top inside and you will see a white connector.
reach in with one hand holding the cowl with the other and disconnect the connector.

there is no need to remove the screen.

when putting the cowl back on pay attention to the black plastic tabs on the headlight, these must fit into the big location grommets on the subframe.

the clock surround has tabs to keep certain parts 'locked' in place so pay attention and make sure that they are put back correctly.

the triangles are secured using 'edge nuts' on the cowl and the plastic part must properly engage with the clock surround so take care.

when putting the cowl back on hold it at the bottom and pull the pointy parts that connect to the frame brackets apart, this will stop you scratching the cowl paint, once the pointy parts are over the brackets then move your hands so they are like how you took it off so you can connect the connector. '''DONT FORGET TO CONNECT THE CONNECTOR''' before bolting everything up again.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-17, 09:36 AM   #5
chezza

Nice one as always Bibio - thats my weekend sort.

I like the way you make it sound so easy !