SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-11-17, 11:32 PM   #1
Gabriel Thor

Exclamation Need Help with my new SV

I bought the bike on Sunday, Monday i got it taxed and insured to ride back home 286 miles away. i rode back no problem and stooped at 2 towns for rest plus one more time for fuel.
bike was fine this whole week even got up to just over 130mph on the motorway with no issues whatsoever and everything running smoothly. the night before last night i headed home from work about a 2 mile ride and gave it some abrupt gas and hit the redline in 2nd gear for about a second or 2 before shifting to third gear and then braking to stop at the lights as they just turned red, after setting off from the lights i gave it gas and once it passed roughly 5000rpm i started to hear and feel an odd vibration plus the bike was not pulling and running on 1 piston. Got home and bike was happy revving to the redline and idling no problem whilst not in gear or with the clutch pulled.
Yesterday morning i got on it to go to work and it started fine, warmed it up for a few mins as its been quite cold these days and rode to work with no issues at all, as if the other day never happened.
today i went to start it and it seemed like the battery was dead so i jumped it with a neighbour and it fired right up, i let it warm up and rode to work with no issues apart from the idle being a bit higher than usual at around 2500rpm. at the main road i gave it some gas and pulled fine, after that i went to overtake and felt the weird issue again at about 7000rpm and after that at around 5000. on the way home from work the idle was normal for a few minutes until i hit traffic and then again it was higher than normal and the bike had no power almost felt like it was only running on 1 piston again and was just not pulling right.

strange thin is when the bike is idling both pistons are running fine, once you give it some gas you can feel one of them not working and the vibration that comes with it.

bike is a stock 02 SV650S, been sitting for a while before i bought it.

any help as to what could be at fault is greatly appreciated
Old 19-11-17, 03:10 PM   #2
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: Need Help with my new SV

Hi and welcome. If it's been sitting for a while I would suspect crud / varnish build up from old fuel in the carbs which is blocking or part-blocking the jets.

Start by giving it a proper service (oil, filter, spark plugs etc) and a carb balance, then see how it goes. Even if the previous owner said it had all been done, I would suggest doing it so you know exactly where you are.

Also check the battery connections are clean and tight. It does sound like the battery might be on its last legs. In cold winter weather, the battery needs to be in good condition to have a chance of starting an SV. But dirty / loose connections can give the same symptoms.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-17, 03:16 PM   #3
Gabriel Thor

thanks for that, il have it booked for a service at the shop as i dont have any tools with me in Warrington.
i might just have the battery changed too just to be on the safe side.
what i still find strange is how come it run the first few days without any issues even on extended motorway driving and going through a few tanks of fuel ?
Old 19-11-17, 04:54 PM   #4
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Hi Gabriel, just a couple of tips. Firstly the SV is quite sensitive to road salt and the associated dampness getting to the front cylinder spark plug and cap. Be a good idea to check this is nice and clean, properly attached and the drain hole to the plug recess isn't blocked. A lot of people fit a front fender extender to keep the worst of the crud off it. With a misfire at this time of year this is the first place I'd check. Secondly if you're only doing a two mile commute on it at this time of year you're going to be giving your battery a hard time, make sure this is in tip top condition as per Craigs advice.

And finally, and please take this in the good spirit it is intended, you really don't need to rev the tits off an SV engine. On a two mile ride, especially at this time of year, your engine isn't going to come close to getting up to all it's correct temperatures even with you trying to warm it for a few minutes first and treating an engine like the way you seem to be is a sure fire way to wrecking it.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-17, 05:13 PM   #5
DuncanC

Sounds similar to a couple of issues I've had with my sv earlier this year. First time was an old plug cap on the rear plug causing it to only run on 1 above around 4000rpm. The second time it did the running on 1 thing it was crud in the main jet so it was fine until 1/2-3/4 throttle then bang only on 1.
DuncanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-17, 05:17 PM   #6
Gabriel Thor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
And finally, and please take this in the good spirit it is intended, you really don't need to rev the tits off an SV engine. On a two mile ride, especially at this time of year, your engine isn't going to come close to getting up to all it's correct temperatures even with you trying to warm it for a few minutes first and treating an engine like the way you seem to be is a sure fire way to wrecking it.
Totally agree i guess i got carried away not riding for a while since being in UK and forgot this is not my 749s haha. Although i did try to take the long way home.

So i have decided to go buy new battery and plugs Monday morning and a basic tool kit so i can replace it, i remember a while back my Honda steed was running funny with a dead battery and replaced its been fine since.
Old 19-11-17, 05:33 PM   #7
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Carb iceing?
The curvy sv gets this when the weather is cold and damp,just like now.You can get an additive for the fuel or using BP ultimate used to help on mine.They are fitted with carb heaters but they often dont work well.
Old 19-11-17, 06:22 PM   #8
Gabriel Thor

i dont think its carb icing as it has not dropped below 5c , also im already using fuel additive i got from halfords and seen no difference
Old 22-11-17, 10:27 AM   #9
Lilredmachine

I would start by draining the carbs. Often you can have a bit of debris in there floating about that will jump into a main jet on heavy throttle opening. That's the easiest thing to do/check. Next would be plug caps, check they aren't arcing out on the inside of the cylinder, however this would generally be a repeatable thing and consistent, it wouldn't do it randomly. It could also be an early sign of a coil failure. If your bike is still on the originals they are now old and right about where they let go age wise...

Edit: on the battery front, I don't think it's related to the running issue, but get a new one quickly if it is duff. A weak battery will cause havoc with the charging system and damage far more expensive components than a cheapish battery will cost to replace.

Last edited by Lilredmachine; 22-11-17 at 10:30 AM.
Old 22-11-17, 01:20 PM   #10
DuncanC

Carb icing has little to do with ambient temperature and often occurs during hot humid weather. Carb icing is caused by the fuel evaporating causing the carb bodies to become freezing cold. Moisture in the air then freezes to the carb bodies. This is carb icing. Carb icing is nearly impossible in cold dry air as there is little moisture to freeze to the carb body.
DuncanC is offline   Reply With Quote