SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-03-05, 12:44 PM   #1
iprideaux

Default Swindon, the Good, the Bad and the Ugly

I'm about to start a new job in Swindon. I can commute for a while but i'd like to move house.
What are the good and bad areas to live?
What are the good and bad bike shops/workshops?

Any help much appreciated.
Old 22-03-05, 03:15 PM   #2
Oxprod

best to avoid living in Swindon itself in my opinion. Look for something in one of the surrounding villages. I live in Stanford in the Vale which is only 10-15 minutes up the A420 from the centre of Swindon on a bike.

House prices will scare the crap out of you though
Old 24-03-05, 11:06 PM   #3
red5

I live in Swindon, moved here a few years ago through work and not by choice.

Avoid anything starting with a P - Penhill, Pinehurst, Park North etc - your bike won't last five minutes there.

House prices are stupid, because there are some big companies here and M4 corridor access, it's silly prices, though that is changing a bit.

Don't buy a house in town as you won't be able to park and stupid ****s walking home drunk will knock off you wing mirrors or do something to your bike.
Best go for a house just oustside Swindon or get one on the edge in the suburbs - Shaw, West Swindon etc.

Enjoy - it's not all bad though you get some right inbreading - you can guarantee a fight in town on a Friday / Saturday night - someone always kicks off.

Don't know much about garages yet, George Whites are pretty good, they do repairs, servicing and sell bikes.

It does however give great access to North Wilts and the countryside!