SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-05-09, 10:24 PM   #1
ciscoda

Default Oil Leak.

Recently purcahsed Sv650s on a '99, noticed a slight oil leak on right hand side of engine, not much just a couple of drops but I can't see where the leak is coming from...any ideas...common problems anything to worry about..?
Old 04-05-09, 10:32 PM   #2
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Re: Oil Leak...

Hi Ciscoda, you'll probably find it's from the clutch cover, as it's plastic it can be overtightened which distorts it a bit or the fitted "O" ring inside isn't seated correctly or needs replacing.

Not a major problem, keep an eye on your oil level for now and when you have time, remove the cover ( if on the side stand there's no need to drain oil) and check the "O" ring and replace in needed ( or some use a silicone sealant) and refit.

Oh and add your location to your profile as it lets people know where you are and locals matbe able to help.

IB is the section for introductions, post up there and I'm sure the normal contributors will all say Hi.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-09, 10:38 PM   #3
Jamiebridges123

Mine has the same problem. Level doesn't drop noticeable and I don't worry about it. It's quite low on my list of things to do.

It's a common problem with the SV so don't worry about it too much
Old 04-05-09, 10:40 PM   #4
ciscoda

Thanks rictus01 and Jamiebridges123, I will keep an eye on it, I will be dropping the oil and filter this week so I will have all fairings off and give it all good cleand/inspection.

Cheeers....................
Old 04-05-09, 10:57 PM   #5
ridelikeaturtle

fyi, I think the torque setting for this is 10ft-lbs, a quick once-over of the bolts on the cover w/a torque wrench just might sort out the problem. (It did for me, the two lower-most bolts were loose.)