SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-05-09, 10:22 AM   #11
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: Selling my bike - possible scam attempt?

You'll probably find that address fake and the email originating in a cyber cafe in nigeria..
Old 02-05-09, 03:58 PM   #12
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Don't be such pessimists. Give the guy your name and a mobile (can't hurt) and an address where the bike (or any other) isn't kept. You must have a mate that lives in a block of flats of something. If and when the cheque arrives you can pay it in and provided it clears what's the problem? Of course if you were trying to buy a bike and someone wanted to do that to you you wouldn't send them a cheque would you?
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-09, 05:15 PM   #13
shifter

Just google the address. Seems to be bogus.
Old 02-05-09, 07:46 PM   #14
Ch00

The address is real in part but under that postcode there is no 81. That estate is also a right hole of a place.

Ch00
Old 02-05-09, 07:52 PM   #15
leesh00

seems to be wrote in the kind of english and grammar i get through to my email account telling me someone in a foreign country wants me to cash cheques through my bank account for huge commisions - when alarm bells ring and things seem to good to be true its usually bull ****
Old 02-05-09, 08:16 PM   #16
bris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Don't be such pessimists. Give the guy your name and a mobile (can't hurt) and an address where the bike (or any other) isn't kept. You must have a mate that lives in a block of flats of something. If and when the cheque arrives you can pay it in and provided it clears what's the problem? Of course if you were trying to buy a bike and someone wanted to do that to you you wouldn't send them a cheque would you?
A cheque can clear in your account but still be reversed when the fraud has been discovered, this can be days or weeks later when the account holder reports the cheque book stolen. It is a very common fraud, a cheque clearing is still not your money if it has been stolen. This is a scam that happens hundreds of times a day so avoid it.
Old 02-05-09, 08:27 PM   #17
richie95

err wazza 419d??
Old 02-05-09, 08:32 PM   #18
markryker

Post Re: Selling my bike - possible scam attempt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie95 View Post
err wazza 419d??
What is West African "419" fraud?

Advance fee fraud or '419' fraud (named after the relevant section of the Nigerian Criminal Code) is a popular crime with the West African organised criminal networks. There are a myriad of schemes and scams - mail, faxed and telephone promises designed to facilitate victims parting with money. All involve requests to help move large sums of money with the promise of a substantial share of the cash in return.
This type of scam, originally known as the "Spanish Prisoner Letter", has been carried out since at least the sixteenth century via ordinary postal mail. These scams have come to be associated in the public mind with Nigeria due to the massive proliferation of such confidence tricks from that country since the mid-eighties, although they are often also carried out in other African nations, and increasingly from European cities with large Nigerian populations, notably London and Amsterdam.
The laws from Section 419 and laws in place in other jurisdictions criminalising the offences do not scare away the criminals who profit from these crimes. The stakes and profits are simply too high and many government officials are believed to be involved with the criminal gangs.
Victim's individual monetary losses can range from the low thousands into multi-millions. True figures are often impossible to ascertain, because many victims, embarrassed by their naiveté and feeling personally humiliated, do not report the crime to the authorities. Others, having lost so much themselves, become "part of the gang" recruiting more victims from their own country of residence. There are tragic cases of victims being unable to cope with the losses and committing suicide.
Renthal streetfighter bars, Carbon can co exhaust, tail tidy, seat cowl, rear hugger, front mud thingy, hel braided lines, clear indicator lenses,fairing lowers, crash bungs, k&N air filter, chewys mirror extenders
markryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-09, 08:37 PM   #19
leesh00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSIgnK3-AJs 419 phone jacker style
Old 02-05-09, 10:46 PM   #20
Jamiebridges123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
It's obviously fake... I will give you my SV if he accepts the cheque and it doesn't bounce.