SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-04-07, 04:58 PM   #1
jonhunt

Default Chain Lube

anyone got good ones to use as i been useing Rock oil BUT it does gett a bit messey and is a bugger to clean some kind of wax or sumin any ideas anyone.

jon
Old 15-04-07, 05:12 PM   #2
lucky strike

Default Re: Chain Lube

A lot of people use old engine oil as a lube. Perfectly fine if you ask me (my lab at uni specializes in this field). As they say; oil is oil is oil.

I tend not to use wax or greasy types of lubes as even though they are classed as 'low fling', they are not very penetrative and they attract and stick to dirt and small stones, whcih can cause a grinding paste effect.

Oil is obviously more of a hassle as it requires more frequent application, (even with a Scottoiler fitted, I manually oil my chain weekly!) but it penetrates more and is better for the chain I think.
Old 15-04-07, 05:19 PM   #3
Tim in Belgium

Used the Hein Gericke spray on wet stuff, not too bad, chain has done about13k miles now, track days, touring, scratching, a bit of fling but try to put it ont ath the end of the day.
Old 15-04-07, 05:35 PM   #4
Toypop

I use the Wurth Dry Chain Lube. Was rated top in one of the big magazines tests. I can vouch for the fact that fling is minimal to non existent.

Also because less gets flung off it was much better at protecting my chain this winter. I had no surface rust on the outside where as last year with my old mucky lube I had loads.

It doesn't attract dirt and remember with the O ring chains you don't need massive penetration because those parts are obviously sealed in.
Old 15-04-07, 06:08 PM   #5
Balky001
Mega Poster

I use Wurth clear dry spray as well and it keeps the chained well lubed and no noticable fling. I sometimes use engine oil to clean before using the lube.
Old 15-04-07, 06:10 PM   #6
neio79

Get a scottoiler and forget about the lube and the mess it leaves behind. it will also increase the chain and sprocket life!!

i would never go back to just using lube. it is too thick and make it eaiser to get the chain coverd in grit and dust.

no saying the scottoiler wont, but i noticed it cut down on te ammount of dirt on my chain 10 fold.

Last edited by neio79; 15-04-07 at 06:12 PM.
Old 15-04-07, 09:24 PM   #7
rob13

Problem with the scotty is that it doesnt oil the opposite side of the chain (you need a dual injector) and even then it doesnt really cover the outside links.

Im gonna try Wax and see if it protects the outside of my links as theyre prone to rust.
Old 15-04-07, 09:38 PM   #8
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

I think Sid Squid might have an opinion on that.