SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-10-15, 02:43 PM   #1
DomP

Default Newport test routes

Having failed once this month I don't want to be doing the same again next month. Does antigone know where I can get hold of Newports test routes? II've found car routes but would they difdifferent? I'm not local to Newport so can't just spend my free time practicing there.
DomP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-15, 02:56 PM   #2
Cymraeg_Atodeg

Default Re: Newport test routes

I am not sure as I did my test in Merthyr, but, why do you want the test routes? How do you think that will help you pass?
Old 22-10-15, 04:23 PM   #3
DomP

I live in Kington Herefordshire so don't often use multi lane systems like in Newport so they can confuse me. I thought getting a better knowledge of the routes would be of some help.
Old 22-10-15, 05:40 PM   #4
Cymraeg_Atodeg

Dude, PM me or something and we can have a chat about it and try to set you straight on what is confusing you
Old 23-10-15, 07:40 PM   #5
DomP

I just panic when it comes to lanes etc. and getting all the obs in so I thought getting to know the test routes better might help me feelmore pprepared. I've been to Newport twice now on mod 1 and a failed mod 2 so I've spent maybe 5-6 hrs there but by no means do I feel like I know it.
Old 23-10-15, 08:37 PM   #6
Cymraeg_Atodeg

It seems a bit far to come, I take it that Newport is your closest test centre?

The worst thing you can do on a bike is panic, be methodical. I learnt through OSMPSL; Observation, Signal, Manoeuvre, Position, Speed and Look (i.e. life-saver.)

Just go from one part at a time and you'll be safe to ride in a two lane or more system. Check your mirror and do a life saver, if it is safe to go signal your intent, move to where you wanna go, be in the right position in the road and keep the right speed and always have another look in your mirrors or life saver to make sure you're OK.

You should try doing the test in Merthyr like I did, there is a section of road that in one way and two lanes, the instructor's love asking people to turn right because loads go from the left lane over the right one, whereas what you are supposed to do it move into the right lane and then turn right.

Did you fail the MOD2 on lack of observation?
Old 24-10-15, 09:25 AM   #7
DomP

Yeah it was going well until I got to a point I didn't understand and then had a bit of a panic and it went wrong from then on. Newport is my closest as Hereford has no das test centre any more. Next test is due 13 November. Thanks for your advice, slowing down and taking a bit more time to take it all in is what I need to do and as you say observations.
Old 24-10-15, 01:47 PM   #8
Cymraeg_Atodeg

Good luck
Old 24-10-15, 07:47 PM   #9
DomP

Thanks mate, bit of luck and a bit more focus. Then sv searching!
Old 26-10-15, 06:03 PM   #10
collis

If you have something to go out on and practice give me a shout. I work in newport and am happy to go out with you on a weekend if you want to