SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-06-11, 10:15 PM   #1
Journeyman

Default Buying First SV650?

Hi,

I'm new to biking and am looking to get a second hand SV650 for my first proper bike (currently riding an NSR125 to get through my licence) so need some advice on the most common faults to watch out for when buying one. I've done a couple of searches on this forum already and through your obviously high knowledge base, (does flattery help here?!! ) seen that the reg/rec, wiring loom under the seat, and speedo are areas which I need to pay attention to; but having dealt with a myriad of faults on my NSR due to ridiculously negligent previous owner(s) I'm really keen to know as much as possible ahead of time as to what I need to watch out for - so that I don't get ripped off again.

I'm erring towards an early pointy, but could be converted to a curvy if they're less prone to (expensive) faults.

Thanks,
Old 21-06-11, 11:02 PM   #2
DJFridge

Default Re: Buying First SV650

Fair play new guy, my bike history is exactly the same!. NSR125R to learn on and now a nice 2002 curvy. Please tell me you aren't planning to do the Mod 1 on the NSR though. I'm sure you've noticed the turning circle is quite similar to that of a large tanker by now - the U turn and the slalom are just about possible on the NSR, but no fun at all.

Anyway, welcome to the nuthouse. I'm beginning to think they're all mad here, but most of them don't bite!

Ride safe and good luck with the tests
Old 22-06-11, 09:23 AM   #3
Chris Bird

My curvy had an issue with the front cylinder miss firing. Then a bigger one with road rash on the M4. Had a pointy SK6 since and it's been fine. Never had a problem with it.

(I'm sure at the time I was told it was a common fault by the mechanic, but then this a garage that forgot to put oil back my DT125 after its first service.)
Old 22-06-11, 09:32 AM   #4
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Firstly How doooo

Wet plug syndrome affects the curvy and some pointies. Easily cured by a fender extender or Silicone grease.
Reg/ recs do fail on both bikes but this has been discussed to death.
Speedos do fail but normally the rotor shatters inside.

The curvy Cam Chain tensioners to rattle on the front, but they all seem to do that, curvy and pointy

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-11, 10:04 AM   #5
lx_online

Paint finish really can't be avoided - mine was awful but that's something you have to accept.

I've had no problems with my pointy '06 plate at all, except a dead battery because it wasn't used over winter.

Welcome!
Old 22-06-11, 10:22 AM   #6
Shawthing

Search 'Green connector'.
Seems to have occurred to more than a few machines, mine included.
Ignition barrel to loom connector under the front of airbox. Poor connection becomes open circuit or heats up and burns out.
Symptoms Switching ignition barrel ON and bike appears dead.

Easy fix once you get to connector by separating, cleaning and remaking connector , but some have hardwired (soldered wire) across connector instead for reliability.

Don't let this put you off. SV is best bike i've ever had.

Non arbores caesa suum mittere nuntius, sed magnum numerum electrons uehementissime incommo.
Shawthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-11, 01:15 PM   #7
Journeyman

Thanks all, it's much appreciated. I'll make sure I look out for those problems as well.

To answer DJFridge's question; nope; I'll be taking the Mod 1 on the riding school's bike rather than my NSR. Thankfully. The large turning circle has indeed surprised me for such a small machine!

Can't wait to upgrade to an SV. Autotrader is a bad, bad thing!
Old 22-06-11, 02:44 PM   #8
DJFridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post
Thanks all, it's much appreciated. I'll make sure I look out for those problems as well.

To answer DJFridge's question; nope; I'll be taking the Mod 1 on the riding school's bike rather than my NSR. Thankfully. The large turning circle has indeed surprised me for such a small machine!

Can't wait to upgrade to an SV. Autotrader is a bad, bad thing!
Thank goodness for that! Wifey had a VanVan while I had my NSR and she could genuinely run rings round me at low speed! I think it was all part of trying to give it that "big bike" feel (at least, that's the only excuse for Honda I can think of)
Old 22-06-11, 03:07 PM   #9
mister c
Mega Poster

Default Re: Buying First SV650?

Engines tend to do quite well mileage wise. I'm a curvy fan, so tend to side with them as there isn't too much worry wise with fuel injection etc. As said already, reg rec, but its cheap to replace & fairly simple. The finish can deteriorate quite quickly if they arent looked after. Rear brake calipers sieze, or the pins weld themselves into the caliper making it a mare of a job to change the pads (Husky comes in handy for rear calipers at a very reasonable price )
But, if you get a good one, they are an ace bike. I still say that the SV has been, by far, the best bike I've ever owned, plus, the people of the org are the nicest on the net
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-11, 03:21 PM   #10
lx_online

Default Re: Buying First SV650?

I loved picking up my SV. First gear was smooth and put a smile on my face compared to the rough CBR500 I learnt on.

Best of luck finding a bike. check out 'used bike buyer' on google/ebay.