SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-03-11, 09:06 AM   #1
dyzio
Mega Poster

Default 250-400cc bike for commuting?

Hi,
Thinking about getting a bike purely for commuting, the traffic is making the commute in the car take about 45minutes (7 miles) or more.

As much as enjoy the Falcow on local roads:

My commute goes through Aberdeen - a lot of traffic lights, roundabouts, 2/3 of which is at 30mph. It just does't like beeing ridden in conditions like these:

Could anyone recommend a bikey 250-400cc?

Looking for:
- upright riding position,
- good reliability,
- easy maintenance, low costs
- up to ~£1000.

I know this budget will get you a decent SV, and my previos curvy has done well when it was my only means of transport, however I think a smaller bike - or even a GS/ER5/CB500 will be better on fuel, tax/insurance and consumables.

I'm not mentioning 125's for a reason, mainly I had access to a cbr125 for a few days and the number of dodgy overtakes, smidsy's and near misses was unbelievable. This does't happen when I'm on the Falcow, so I take it was down to the wee bikey.

Any ideas?

Cheers
dyz
dyzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-11, 10:09 AM   #2
custard

Default Re: 250-400cc bike for commuting?

honda cb400 big one.
Old 30-03-11, 10:25 AM   #3
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

I have had the pleasure of riding about on "dogs" ie RXS100, KC100, CB250 commuting for a few days at a time. I freely admit to riding like a total tit. Its either that or get rammed or squashed. Safest place is out infront and well away! So I know what you are saying.

I say get a trailie with a leccie boot. (kicker if you are a patient/placcid type) See Ralph with his XT600E. Or DRZ400S. DR600/650.

Might put a bit more on to your budget for purchase but cheap insurance, cheap tyres , cheap brakes, frugal, one pot maintenance. Only negs I see are PITA tubed tyres and maybe a little heavy on C&S (600cc+ anyway) A ton of presence on the road too in town and a chance to cut about off road if the notion or opportunity takes you.
Must be loads of them up in your neck of the woods?
STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-11, 11:28 AM   #4
-Ralph-

XT600E not too heavy on C&S so long as you use the gearbox properly and don't get tempted to go everywhere at 2000 revs, just because you can and it's fun to hear and feel the thump, thump, thump. I put a new C&S on 2000 miles ago and I haven't adjusted it yet.

Trailles have the advantage in town because of the height for sure, great visibility, but the brakes wont match up to something more road biased.

Personally for town commuting though I'd be looking at a 250 or a 400. The XT is no better on fuel than an SV650. A CBF250 is a good option, 80-100mpg!

If I ever have to commute by bike, it'll be a maxi-scoot.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 30-03-11 at 11:34 AM.
Old 30-03-11, 11:42 AM   #5
dyzio
Mega Poster

Cheers,
DRZ's are great, but too pricey and I'd have to wear platforms to reach the ground
The cbf250/ybr250 that looks like it could be it, but the ones I can find at the moment are around £2k.

Maxi-scoot... hmmm....

Looking through adds, DR350 could be tempting... any idea how bike's like this like filtering between cars on dual carriageway's?
dyzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-11, 11:47 AM   #6
Sally

Tried phoning Ecosse or Shirlaws for anything?

Can usually get a good deal on bikes that have been traded in!

I can't find anything on gumtree locally...
Old 30-03-11, 11:55 AM   #7
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyzio View Post
Looking through adds, DR350 could be tempting... any idea how bike's like this like filtering between cars on dual carriageway's?
Quite happy filtering, at an advantage actually you can see over the top of all the cars into side roads and onto the pavement, etc, can turn the front wheel about 160 degrees from lock to lock, and turn on a sixpence, but the bars are wider. This is not generally a problem though as the bars are above the level of most cars mirrors, so you can still squeeze through. You might not get between two buses on a trailie, whereas you might on a CBF250.

As for the maxi-scoot, how comfortable does this look? 62 litres of underseat storage for your lid, textiles, laptop, and some shopping as well. Decent weather protection, easy to keep clean, no chain and sprockets, 70 mpg, ABS, and if you want to sit on a motorway for 2 hours, it'll do that too!

But you'd have to be like me and not care if other people think you look like a poof!

Last edited by -Ralph-; 30-03-11 at 12:05 PM.
Old 30-03-11, 11:56 AM   #8
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by custard View Post
honda cb400 big one.
Do you mean a CB1-400 or do you mean the CB400 super four

The CB Bigone was the UK 1000cc model wasn't it?

Either way both are good bikes

Last edited by dirtydog; 30-03-11 at 11:57 AM.
dirtydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-11, 12:11 PM   #9
nikon70

i hear the clutch goes quite quickly, so as a commuter it might be out of action more than it is on the road.... my mate had one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
Quite happy filtering, at an advantage actually you can see over the top of all the cars into side roads and onto the pavement, etc, can turn the front wheel about 160 degrees from lock to lock, and turn on a sixpence, but the bars are wider. This is not generally a problem though as the bars are above the level of most cars mirrors, so you can still squeeze through. You might not get between two buses on a trailie, whereas you might on a CBF250.

As for the maxi-scoot, how comfortable does this look? 62 litres of underseat storage for your lid, textiles, laptop, and some shopping as well. Decent weather protection, easy to keep clean, no chain and sprockets, 70 mpg, ABS, and if you want to sit on a motorway for 2 hours, it'll do that too!

But you'd have to be like me and not care if other people think you look like a poof!

Old 30-03-11, 12:51 PM   #10
custard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post
Do you mean a CB1-400 or do you mean the CB400 super four

The CB Bigone was the UK 1000cc model wasn't it?

Either way both are good bikes
sorry. cb1 400... was looking at some on ebay the other day. you can get a pretty tidy one for around a grand and as luck would have it

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/honda-super-fo...item3a647b0b99